Re: [hr100] Course gossip, anyone? Bueller?

  • Richard Hypio
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
      Hello Todd and all!

      Since there hasn't been much response to your pleas for info, I decided I'd
      better contribute what I can. I had the opportunity to run (well, you know
      what I mean) up the Ice Lake trail to Grants Swamp yesterday. I followed
      John and crew's excellent trail markings from the intersection up to the
      pass (I believe they marked it on Sunday; hope they stayed ahead of the
      weather). Trails were very wet in the a.m. from considerable rainfall most
      of the day Sunday, but they were drying up by afternoon. There is only one
      small snowfield on the steeps below the south side of the pass. From the
      pass looking north there is only a smidgen of snow at the very top of the
      scree slope, and from the bottom of that it looks as though you can choose
      snow or talus down into the drainage. The wildfowers are in full swing, the
      streams look pretty normal, the sky is as blue as ever, and things just
      couldn't be prettier. I was on the pass at 7:00 a.m. with my dog, Spretz,
      and it was wonderful to have the opportunity to be by ourselves and pay our
      respects to Joel. That plaque and all the thoughts associated with it are
      certainly powerful and moving forces.

      When I told my son I had been on Grants Swamp, he replied "I'll bet there
      are a lot of tadpoles there!" Later in the morning and throughout the
      afternoon my family and I hiked back up to Ice Lake Basin, another beautiful
      spot that merits a trip if you have the time while you're here. Looking
      forward to seeing everyone next week - it'll be here before we know it.
      Hope everyone's training is proceeding with focus!

      Regards, Richard