[hr100] Poles and campsites

  • Hans-Dieter Weisshaar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2000
      Hi runners,

      as this group seems to be a very active one, I feel encouraged to ask
      from overseas (Germany) two questions:

      1. Is it allowed to run with poles, as it is a custom of some runners in
      the Alps?
      2. Is there a campsite in Silverton and Ouray? Is it necessary to make
      reservations ? How to do it?

      Thanks in advance for answers and good training-conditions

      Hans-Dieter
    • Hans-Dieter Weisshaar

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2000
          In past years quite a several runners have used ski poles or (in my case) a
          single stick. It is not a crowded course, and they pose little threat to
          other runners.

          I like the collapsible Leki pole, since I can close it up and stash it on
          the few occasions when I feel inspired to run. It's a comfort on some of the
          stream crossings, by the way. For me the horizontal grip is much better
          than ski pole loops.

          Roger

          Roger A. Wiegand
          http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand

          > Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:41:55 +0100
          > From: HD.WEISSHAAR@... (Hans-Dieter Weisshaar)
          > To: HARDROCK <hr100@egroups.com>
          > Subject: [hr100] Poles and campsites
          >
          > Hi runners,
          >
          > as this group seems to be a very active one, I feel encouraged to ask
          > from overseas (Germany) two questions:
          >
          > 1. Is it allowed to run with poles, as it is a custom of some runners in
          > the Alps?
          > 2. Is there a campsite in Silverton and Ouray? Is it necessary to make
          > reservations ? How to do it?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for answers and good training-conditions
          >

          > Hans-Dieter

          > WANT FREE MAGAZINES?
          > Sample over 500 magazines in 30 categories-- all for FREE at
          > FreeShop.com, your source for thousands of free and trial offers!

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=hr100&m=1

        • Mitchell A. Rossman
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2000
            Hans:

            I recall there is a US Forest Service campsite a few miles northwest of
            Silverton, on the way to Grant's Pass. I will check on reservations and get
            back to you.

            Mitch Rossman
            Minneapolis

            HD.WEISSHAAR@... (Hans-Dieter Weisshaar) on 01/21/2000 09:43:21 AM

            Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

            To: hr100@egroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)
            Subject: [hr100] Poles and campsites

            Hi runners,

            as this group seems to be a very active one, I feel encouraged to ask
            from overseas (Germany) two questions:

            1. Is it allowed to run with poles, as it is a custom of some runners in
            the Alps?
            2. Is there a campsite in Silverton and Ouray? Is it necessary to make
            reservations ? How to do it?

            Thanks in advance for answers and good training-conditions

            Hans-Dieter

            Shop the web for great deals. Save on Computers,
            electronics, Home furnishings and more.
            http://click.egroups.com/1/1559/1/_/382674/_/951406936/

            -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hr100&m=1
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2000
              > 1. Is it allowed to run with poles, as it is a
              > custom of some runners in
              > the Alps?

              Yes, your pacers may be of any nationality.
              :-)
              Seriously, hiking poles are allowed. They make good
              ice axes.

              > 2. Is there a campsite in Silverton and Ouray? Is it
              > necessary to make
              > reservations ? How to do it?

              Camping is free at South Mineral campgrounds 3 miles
              NW of Silverton, also at Maggie Gulch. They each have
              a pit toilet and stream water. There are pay sites in
              Silverton with showers, laundry, etc.

              =====
              http://im.yahoo.com
            • Mitchell A. Rossman
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 24, 2000
                Matt:

                Thanks for the information. I had been 4 years since I was there. I recall
                there was no reservation, just a first come first serve approach. I will
                probably stay there.

                I search the Web for Forest Service campgrounds and came up with one near Ouray.
                http://www.ReserveUSA.com/nrrs/co/amph/

                Mitch

                Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/24/2000 10:11:00 AM

                Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

                To: hr100@egroups.com
                cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)
                Subject: [hr100] Re: Poles and campsites

                > 1. Is it allowed to run with poles, as it is a
                > custom of some runners in
                > the Alps?

                Yes, your pacers may be of any nationality.
                :-)
                Seriously, hiking poles are allowed. They make good
                ice axes.

                > 2. Is there a campsite in Silverton and Ouray? Is it
                > necessary to make
                > reservations ? How to do it?

                Camping is free at South Mineral campgrounds 3 miles
                NW of Silverton, also at Maggie Gulch. They each have
                a pit toilet and stream water. There are pay sites in
                Silverton with showers, laundry, etc.

                =====

                Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
                Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
                no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
                you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
                http://click.egroups.com/1/914/1/_/382674/_/951408676/

                eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hr100/
              • John Cappis
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24, 2000
                  Hans:

                  Using poles or other aids such as crampons, ropes, pitons, skis, etc is
                  all allowed during Hardrock. The only restriction is the runner must
                  carry everything used between crew access aid stations.

                  John

                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/hr100/?start=39