Re: [hr100] Course gossip, anyone? Bueller?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
      Don't know about the San Juans, but the Sawatch range
      does not have much snow, so I expect it to be similar.

      =====

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Richard Hypio
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
        Hello Todd and all!

        Since there hasn't been much response to your pleas for info, I decided I'd
        better contribute what I can. I had the opportunity to run (well, you know
        what I mean) up the Ice Lake trail to Grants Swamp yesterday. I followed
        John and crew's excellent trail markings from the intersection up to the
        pass (I believe they marked it on Sunday; hope they stayed ahead of the
        weather). Trails were very wet in the a.m. from considerable rainfall most
        of the day Sunday, but they were drying up by afternoon. There is only one
        small snowfield on the steeps below the south side of the pass. From the
        pass looking north there is only a smidgen of snow at the very top of the
        scree slope, and from the bottom of that it looks as though you can choose
        snow or talus down into the drainage. The wildfowers are in full swing, the
        streams look pretty normal, the sky is as blue as ever, and things just
        couldn't be prettier. I was on the pass at 7:00 a.m. with my dog, Spretz,
        and it was wonderful to have the opportunity to be by ourselves and pay our
        respects to Joel. That plaque and all the thoughts associated with it are
        certainly powerful and moving forces.

        When I told my son I had been on Grants Swamp, he replied "I'll bet there
        are a lot of tadpoles there!" Later in the morning and throughout the
        afternoon my family and I hiked back up to Ice Lake Basin, another beautiful
        spot that merits a trip if you have the time while you're here. Looking
        forward to seeing everyone next week - it'll be here before we know it.
        Hope everyone's training is proceeding with focus!

        Regards, Richard