Course gossip, anyone? Bueller?

  • Laura Turvey & Todd Burgess
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2001
      Dear Lucky Folks Who Happen To Be Within The Greater Silverton-Telluride-Ouray-Lake City Metroplex:
      C'mon. We're dying to know. How are the snow conditions? The streams? The flowers? Anything?
      We feel so ... left out.
      You've been marking the course since 9 this morning, and it's almost noon, and we've heard nothing.
      Give us just one little detail ... PLEASE!
      Todd

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
        Don't know about the San Juans, but the Sawatch range
        does not have much snow, so I expect it to be similar.

        =====

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Richard Hypio
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
          Hello Todd and all!

          Since there hasn't been much response to your pleas for info, I decided I'd
          better contribute what I can. I had the opportunity to run (well, you know
          what I mean) up the Ice Lake trail to Grants Swamp yesterday. I followed
          John and crew's excellent trail markings from the intersection up to the
          pass (I believe they marked it on Sunday; hope they stayed ahead of the
          weather). Trails were very wet in the a.m. from considerable rainfall most
          of the day Sunday, but they were drying up by afternoon. There is only one
          small snowfield on the steeps below the south side of the pass. From the
          pass looking north there is only a smidgen of snow at the very top of the
          scree slope, and from the bottom of that it looks as though you can choose
          snow or talus down into the drainage. The wildfowers are in full swing, the
          streams look pretty normal, the sky is as blue as ever, and things just
          couldn't be prettier. I was on the pass at 7:00 a.m. with my dog, Spretz,
          and it was wonderful to have the opportunity to be by ourselves and pay our
          respects to Joel. That plaque and all the thoughts associated with it are
          certainly powerful and moving forces.

          When I told my son I had been on Grants Swamp, he replied "I'll bet there
          are a lot of tadpoles there!" Later in the morning and throughout the
          afternoon my family and I hiked back up to Ice Lake Basin, another beautiful
          spot that merits a trip if you have the time while you're here. Looking
          forward to seeing everyone next week - it'll be here before we know it.
          Hope everyone's training is proceeding with focus!

          Regards, Richard