Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range

  • RA Fry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2001
      Daewoo...Daewoo...do you get pedals with that?

      By the way, word is that Sue Thompson recently
      returned from the Institucion Nacional de Cloning
      in Mexico City.

      Robin Fry
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
        --- clapper@... wrote:

        > Now you wait a minute. She promise to go white
        > kayaking with me tomorrow
        > morning and Mt biking in the afternoon.
        > Joe

        Oops, I meant Sue Johnston, not Thompson. Anyway Sue
        didn't climb with us on Princeton because she was
        sick, coughing up green stuff or something. Bozena
        Maslanka is going home because of a leg injury (kicked
        in a soccer game a few weeks ago), so she will not be
        running Hardrock.

        On Friday Ginny LaForme and I climbed Princeton from
        Maxwell Gulch, starting on the CO trail at 344 (2 mi.
        S of Avalanche Gulch) to Grouse Canyon. We started at
        7:45 AM, reached the abandoned jeep road up Maxwell
        Gulch at 9:30 AM, the summit at 12:45 AM, Alpine at
        3:15 PM, and finished at 3:45 PM. The jeep road
        climbs steeply along the north side of the drainage
        until it reaches the open meadow at 10,800 ft. We
        climbed a steep slope of scree and loose rock from
        13,200 ft. to a saddle 80 ft. below the summit on the
        west ridge. This was a very dangerous climb, as the
        rocks (up to 2 ft. wide) were all loose due to the
        steepness. I think I would prefer to hike the extra 2
        miles to the east ridge trail.

        We descended directly over the top of point 13971,
        following Roach's Grouse Canyon route. The descent
        off the ridge to treeline is rocky, steep, and
        dangerous with loose rocks. I nearly hit Ginny with a
        2 ft. long rock after I started a slide. Most of the
        time we took parallel routes down so as to avoid this
        problem. We had good weather for the climb, but
        descended in a thunderstorm and hail.

        We found a good class 1 trail that is not on any map
        that I know of. The trail is obvious. It leaves the
        drainage going west at 10,800 ft, approximately
        following the contour lines except that it descends at
        about a 10% grade for 2 miles to 9800 ft. at the west
        end of Alpine, on road 273C (dirt), 3 blocks north of
        the main road (273). From there you can go 1/4 mile
        west to the bridge at Baldwin Gulch for the climb up
        Antero. We didn't know about the trail so we hiked
        1.5 miles east back to the car (we used a 2 car
        shuttle). This is a vastly better route than
        descending directly to Grouse Canyon as described by
        Roach, as we had planned to do.

        My quads were real stiff the next day as I drove 500
        miles to the Sawyer Mt. run, which I ran today (27 mi.
        in 8:11, 8000-10000 ft, 4500 ft climb on trails).
        Strangely enough, my legs aren't sore any more except
        for about 20 scratches where the trail was overgrown
        with alder (thorny like sawbriers).

        > "Mike Dobies" <traildog@...> on 06/28/2001
        > 08:58:44 PM
        >
        > Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
        > cc:
        > Subject: Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range
        >

        > Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
        > To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>;
        > <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>
        >
        > > Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme
        > and
        > > I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
        > > want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM
        > or
        > > Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
        > > Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
        > > maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it
        > then,
        > > look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
        > > white Daewoo and a small blue tent.
        >
        > Hey, wait a minute!
        >
        > Sue Thompson had already promised to help me drive
        > from
        > Michigan to Colorado, starting tomorrow afternoon!
        >
        > See ya in Silverton, Matt.
        >
        > Mike Dobies
        > traildog@...

        =====

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • carolyn erdman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
          At 11:36 PM 7/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
          >--- clapper@... wrote:
          Bozena
          >Maslanka is going home because of a leg injury (kicked
          >in a soccer game a few weeks ago), so she will not be
          >running Hardrock.

          So why doesn't she call Dale and tell him so a person on the wiat list may
          get her spot!!!????
        • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
            I am still hoping to get better and run the race. I don't think we should
            jump the gun yet.
            After all I did pay my fees and I'm not 100% sure if I'm very badly injured,
            and if I do recover I would like to have the option of coming back to
            Colorado and running it.
            Please don't decide for me what is good or bad I will make that decision
            myself.
            By the way, it would be a lot nicer if you people wished me speedy recovery
            first before jumping the gun.
            Thanks for being concern (not).