Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range

  • Mike Dobies
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
      Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>

      > Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme and
      > I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
      > want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM or
      > Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
      > Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
      > maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it then,
      > look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
      > white Daewoo and a small blue tent.

      Hey, wait a minute!

      Sue Thompson had already promised to help me drive from
      Michigan to Colorado, starting tomorrow afternoon!

      See ya in Silverton, Matt.

      Mike Dobies
      traildog@...
    • clapper@american.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2001
        Now you wait a minute. She promise to go white kayaking with me tomorrow
        morning and Mt biking in the afternoon.
        Joe

        "Mike Dobies" <traildog@...> on 06/28/2001 08:58:44 PM

        Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com

        To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
        cc:
        Subject: Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range

        Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
        To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>

        > Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme and
        > I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
        > want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM or
        > Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
        > Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
        > maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it then,
        > look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
        > white Daewoo and a small blue tent.

        Hey, wait a minute!

        Sue Thompson had already promised to help me drive from
        Michigan to Colorado, starting tomorrow afternoon!

        See ya in Silverton, Matt.

        Mike Dobies
        traildog@...

      • RA Fry
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2001
          Daewoo...Daewoo...do you get pedals with that?

          By the way, word is that Sue Thompson recently
          returned from the Institucion Nacional de Cloning
          in Mexico City.

          Robin Fry
          Now you wait a minute.  She promise to go white kayaking with me tomorrow
          morning and Mt biking in the afternoon.
          Joe

          "Mike Dobies" <traildog@...> on 06/28/2001 08:58:44 PM

          Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com

          To:   <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
          cc:

          To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
            --- clapper@... wrote:

            > Now you wait a minute. She promise to go white
            > kayaking with me tomorrow
            > morning and Mt biking in the afternoon.
            > Joe

            Oops, I meant Sue Johnston, not Thompson. Anyway Sue
            didn't climb with us on Princeton because she was
            sick, coughing up green stuff or something. Bozena
            Maslanka is going home because of a leg injury (kicked
            in a soccer game a few weeks ago), so she will not be
            running Hardrock.

            On Friday Ginny LaForme and I climbed Princeton from
            Maxwell Gulch, starting on the CO trail at 344 (2 mi.
            S of Avalanche Gulch) to Grouse Canyon. We started at
            7:45 AM, reached the abandoned jeep road up Maxwell
            Gulch at 9:30 AM, the summit at 12:45 AM, Alpine at
            3:15 PM, and finished at 3:45 PM. The jeep road
            climbs steeply along the north side of the drainage
            until it reaches the open meadow at 10,800 ft. We
            climbed a steep slope of scree and loose rock from
            13,200 ft. to a saddle 80 ft. below the summit on the
            west ridge. This was a very dangerous climb, as the
            rocks (up to 2 ft. wide) were all loose due to the
            steepness. I think I would prefer to hike the extra 2
            miles to the east ridge trail.

            We descended directly over the top of point 13971,
            following Roach's Grouse Canyon route. The descent
            off the ridge to treeline is rocky, steep, and
            dangerous with loose rocks. I nearly hit Ginny with a
            2 ft. long rock after I started a slide. Most of the
            time we took parallel routes down so as to avoid this
            problem. We had good weather for the climb, but
            descended in a thunderstorm and hail.

            We found a good class 1 trail that is not on any map
            that I know of. The trail is obvious. It leaves the
            drainage going west at 10,800 ft, approximately
            following the contour lines except that it descends at
            about a 10% grade for 2 miles to 9800 ft. at the west
            end of Alpine, on road 273C (dirt), 3 blocks north of
            the main road (273). From there you can go 1/4 mile
            west to the bridge at Baldwin Gulch for the climb up
            Antero. We didn't know about the trail so we hiked
            1.5 miles east back to the car (we used a 2 car
            shuttle). This is a vastly better route than
            descending directly to Grouse Canyon as described by
            Roach, as we had planned to do.

            My quads were real stiff the next day as I drove 500
            miles to the Sawyer Mt. run, which I ran today (27 mi.
            in 8:11, 8000-10000 ft, 4500 ft climb on trails).
            Strangely enough, my legs aren't sore any more except
            for about 20 scratches where the trail was overgrown
            with alder (thorny like sawbriers).

            > "Mike Dobies" <traildog@...> on 06/28/2001
            > 08:58:44 PM
            >
            > Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
            > cc:
            > Subject: Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range
            >

            > Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
            > To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>;
            > <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>
            >
            > > Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme
            > and
            > > I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
            > > want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM
            > or
            > > Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
            > > Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
            > > maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it
            > then,
            > > look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
            > > white Daewoo and a small blue tent.
            >
            > Hey, wait a minute!
            >
            > Sue Thompson had already promised to help me drive
            > from
            > Michigan to Colorado, starting tomorrow afternoon!
            >
            > See ya in Silverton, Matt.
            >
            > Mike Dobies
            > traildog@...

            =====

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • carolyn erdman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
              At 11:36 PM 7/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
              >--- clapper@... wrote:
              Bozena
              >Maslanka is going home because of a leg injury (kicked
              >in a soccer game a few weeks ago), so she will not be
              >running Hardrock.

              So why doesn't she call Dale and tell him so a person on the wiat list may
              get her spot!!!????
            • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
                I am still hoping to get better and run the race. I don't think we should
                jump the gun yet.
                After all I did pay my fees and I'm not 100% sure if I'm very badly injured,
                and if I do recover I would like to have the option of coming back to
                Colorado and running it.
                Please don't decide for me what is good or bad I will make that decision
                myself.
                By the way, it would be a lot nicer if you people wished me speedy recovery
                first before jumping the gun.
                Thanks for being concern (not).