Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range

  • Mike Dobies
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
      Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>

      > Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme and
      > I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
      > want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM or
      > Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
      > Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
      > maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it then,
      > look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
      > white Daewoo and a small blue tent.

      Hey, wait a minute!

      Sue Thompson had already promised to help me drive from
      Michigan to Colorado, starting tomorrow afternoon!

      See ya in Silverton, Matt.

      Mike Dobies
      traildog@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
        Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme and
        I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
        want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM or
        Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
        Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
        maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it then,
        look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
        white Daewoo and a small blue tent.

        Today we climbed Yale. No altitude problems this
        time, after 2 days.

        =====

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • clapper@american.edu
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2001
          Now you wait a minute. She promise to go white kayaking with me tomorrow
          morning and Mt biking in the afternoon.
          Joe

          "Mike Dobies" <traildog@...> on 06/28/2001 08:58:44 PM

          Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com

          To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
          cc:
          Subject: Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range

          Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
          To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>

          > Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme and
          > I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
          > want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM or
          > Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
          > Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
          > maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it then,
          > look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
          > white Daewoo and a small blue tent.

          Hey, wait a minute!

          Sue Thompson had already promised to help me drive from
          Michigan to Colorado, starting tomorrow afternoon!

          See ya in Silverton, Matt.

          Mike Dobies
          traildog@...

        • RA Fry
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 29, 2001
            Daewoo...Daewoo...do you get pedals with that?

            By the way, word is that Sue Thompson recently
            returned from the Institucion Nacional de Cloning
            in Mexico City.

            Robin Fry
            Now you wait a minute.  She promise to go white kayaking with me tomorrow
            morning and Mt biking in the afternoon.
            Joe

            "Mike Dobies" <traildog@...> on 06/28/2001 08:58:44 PM

            Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com

            To:   <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
            cc:

            To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1 11:36 PM
              --- clapper@... wrote:

              > Now you wait a minute. She promise to go white
              > kayaking with me tomorrow
              > morning and Mt biking in the afternoon.
              > Joe

              Oops, I meant Sue Johnston, not Thompson. Anyway Sue
              didn't climb with us on Princeton because she was
              sick, coughing up green stuff or something. Bozena
              Maslanka is going home because of a leg injury (kicked
              in a soccer game a few weeks ago), so she will not be
              running Hardrock.

              On Friday Ginny LaForme and I climbed Princeton from
              Maxwell Gulch, starting on the CO trail at 344 (2 mi.
              S of Avalanche Gulch) to Grouse Canyon. We started at
              7:45 AM, reached the abandoned jeep road up Maxwell
              Gulch at 9:30 AM, the summit at 12:45 AM, Alpine at
              3:15 PM, and finished at 3:45 PM. The jeep road
              climbs steeply along the north side of the drainage
              until it reaches the open meadow at 10,800 ft. We
              climbed a steep slope of scree and loose rock from
              13,200 ft. to a saddle 80 ft. below the summit on the
              west ridge. This was a very dangerous climb, as the
              rocks (up to 2 ft. wide) were all loose due to the
              steepness. I think I would prefer to hike the extra 2
              miles to the east ridge trail.

              We descended directly over the top of point 13971,
              following Roach's Grouse Canyon route. The descent
              off the ridge to treeline is rocky, steep, and
              dangerous with loose rocks. I nearly hit Ginny with a
              2 ft. long rock after I started a slide. Most of the
              time we took parallel routes down so as to avoid this
              problem. We had good weather for the climb, but
              descended in a thunderstorm and hail.

              We found a good class 1 trail that is not on any map
              that I know of. The trail is obvious. It leaves the
              drainage going west at 10,800 ft, approximately
              following the contour lines except that it descends at
              about a 10% grade for 2 miles to 9800 ft. at the west
              end of Alpine, on road 273C (dirt), 3 blocks north of
              the main road (273). From there you can go 1/4 mile
              west to the bridge at Baldwin Gulch for the climb up
              Antero. We didn't know about the trail so we hiked
              1.5 miles east back to the car (we used a 2 car
              shuttle). This is a vastly better route than
              descending directly to Grouse Canyon as described by
              Roach, as we had planned to do.

              My quads were real stiff the next day as I drove 500
              miles to the Sawyer Mt. run, which I ran today (27 mi.
              in 8:11, 8000-10000 ft, 4500 ft climb on trails).
              Strangely enough, my legs aren't sore any more except
              for about 20 scratches where the trail was overgrown
              with alder (thorny like sawbriers).

              > "Mike Dobies" <traildog@...> on 06/28/2001
              > 08:58:44 PM
              >
              > Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
              > cc:
              > Subject: Re: [hr100] Training in the Sawatch range
              >

              > Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> wrote:
              > To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>;
              > <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>
              >
              > > Tomorrow morning (Fri) Sue Thompson, Ginny LaForme
              > and
              > > I will be traversing Mt. Princeton N to S. If you
              > > want to join us, meet at Grouse Canyon at 700 AM
              > or
              > > Avalanche Gulch at 730 AM. Then I will camp at
              > > Winfield and we will climb another 14er tomorrow,
              > > maybe La Plata or Huron. If you can't make it
              > then,
              > > look for me at Winfield on 7/3-6. I have a rented
              > > white Daewoo and a small blue tent.
              >
              > Hey, wait a minute!
              >
              > Sue Thompson had already promised to help me drive
              > from
              > Michigan to Colorado, starting tomorrow afternoon!
              >
              > See ya in Silverton, Matt.
              >
              > Mike Dobies
              > traildog@...

              =====

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • carolyn erdman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2 8:05 AM
                At 11:36 PM 7/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
                >--- clapper@... wrote:
                Bozena
                >Maslanka is going home because of a leg injury (kicked
                >in a soccer game a few weeks ago), so she will not be
                >running Hardrock.

                So why doesn't she call Dale and tell him so a person on the wiat list may
                get her spot!!!????
              • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2 9:15 AM
                  I am still hoping to get better and run the race. I don't think we should
                  jump the gun yet.
                  After all I did pay my fees and I'm not 100% sure if I'm very badly injured,
                  and if I do recover I would like to have the option of coming back to
                  Colorado and running it.
                  Please don't decide for me what is good or bad I will make that decision
                  myself.
                  By the way, it would be a lot nicer if you people wished me speedy recovery
                  first before jumping the gun.
                  Thanks for being concern (not).