Training runs near Leadville

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2001
      I will be staying at the Leadville Hostel through
      Friday. Anybody want to do some training runs in the
      Sawatch range at 14,000 ft?

      Today was my first full day at altitude after flying
      from sea level yesterday, so I wanted just a short
      climb. I climbed the SE face of Evans (class 3) from
      Summit Lake, traversing the ridge that's part of the
      Snave route. I tried going up the class 4 coulior to
      the summit but chickened out about 100 ft. from the
      summit and had to downclimb back to the shelf and
      summit from the west. It wasn't too hard a move, a 10
      ft. chimney at about 60 deg., but I was climbing alone
      so I was being careful. I got an altitude headache,
      but that should not be a problem in a day or 2 and I
      can do longer climbs.

      Anyway my plans are
      6/27-29 Leadville, climb 14ers
      6/30-7/2 Sawyer Mt. run, stay with Mark Dorion
      7/3-6 camp at Winfield, climb 14ers
      7/7 Leadville marathon
      7/10 or 11 climb Sneffels
      7/13 Hardrock

      I will have email at the hostel on 7th st, let me know
      if interested.

      =====

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/