[hr100] Another Rookie's Question

  • William E. Rideg
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2000
      Hi All,
      I would like to hear about the final 25 miles(Telluride-Sherman). Other
      than just "keep on moving". I would appreciate the input & maybe get
      some sleep.....

      Looking forward to meeting you folks.

      Bill Rideg
      Missoula MT
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2000
        --- "William E. Rideg" <wmez@...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I would like to hear about the final 25
        > miles

        It is hell. If it takes you 30 hours to get to
        Telluride (75 miles), expect it to take the remaining
        18 hours to finish.

        My biggest problem in '98 was that I could no longer
        think clearly on my second sleepless night, and kept
        getting lost. I lost an hour trying to find the trail
        up Grant-Swamp pass. On the other side it got dark
        and the markers were extremely difficult to find in
        the trackless tundra fields afterwards. I had to stop
        at each flag, and scan my flashlight to find the next
        one. I missed the turnoff from Ice Lake trail and
        descended a horrible 45-degree wooded slope guided
        only by the sound of the waterfall where I knew I had
        to cross. I found it, then missed the river crossing
        after the KT aid station by 1/4 mile, but a volunteer
        ran after me and turned me around. Finally after more
        scanning for flags on the 13,000 ft. plateau under a
        full moon and temps in the 20's at 2AM, I saw no more
        flags, and wandered aimlessly until sunrise, so I had
        a 51:38 DNF. I had no idea where I was even though I
        hiked exactly the same course a week earlier knowing
        full well that this would be the spot I would most
        likely get lost. It looks completely different in the
        dark.

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com