Weather in Silverton

  • jworswick@etrademail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 14, 2001
      G'day all,
      thought you might be interested in the changing weather in Silverton at the moment.

      Last night there was about 2 inches of snow above 10,000ft, Silverton probably got about one inch and the temperature dropped dramatically. Most of this additional dump melted quickly today. American Basin still has deep snow in drifts (waist level), Handies has snow up to the saddle just below the summit, Grizzly Gulch has snow just in the basin above tree-line. All are accessible with care as Lisa Richardson and myself hiked up Grouse, American basin over handies and down Grizzly Gulch (new route).

      I can say that Grizzly Gulch is a lovely valley mainly pine with a great mostly runnable trail to the road that takes you around to Sherman. The route is fairly straighforward with a little scramble of Handies summit, basically head down the basin to tree-line staying to the left of the stream. You'll like it!!

      So basically there is still a fair bit of snow around especially above tree-line which poses some interesting training at the moment. Generally the weather in the San Juans has been quite hot recently so the snow is melting but I am sure there will be some left in July to add a little interest to the run.

      Most, not all of the 4wd passes in the area are open.

      Note: it snowed and can snow again, make sure you are prepared !!!!

      See you all soon
      Jonathan

      You're in charge of your investments. So stay in charge of your
      largest one -- your home. Come visit Owners.com and find out
      how you can save $1000s selling your home or get PAID to buy
      your next one. http://www.owners.com/index.asp?pmo=20001
    • cappis@bigfoot.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 14, 2001
        --- In hr100@y..., jworswick@e... wrote:

        > Note: it snowed and can snow again, make sure you are prepared !!!!

        Just wanted to emphasize what Jonathan said about being prepared for
        the rapidly changing weather in the San Juan's. Last year while
        marking the course on Handies Peak, a rapidly moving snow/lightening
        storm kept us pinned down for about thirty minutes. Some people who
        had not carried long pants or gloves were pretty miserable.

        John

        ____
        > You're in charge of your investments. So stay in charge of your
        > largest one -- your home. Come visit Owners.com and find out
        > how you can save $1000s selling your home or get PAID to buy
        > your next one. http://www.owners.com/index.asp?pmo=20001
      • carolyn erdman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 14, 2001
          Why don't you come for dinner before the play on Saturday? Say about 6:30
          ff you like. Eric is really going thru those cookies by the way. Hope that
          you and Lisa had fun and that you found the pizza. Did you go to the movies
          last night or the slide show tonight.

          see ya
          Carolyn
        • Keith Knipling
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 20, 2001

            (Sorry if you get this twice – I sent this to the big ultra list too).

            I wanted to start a discussion on the list regarding Hardrock.  I was interested in what people had to say regarding clothes, hydration systems, lights, etc.  i.e. should I bring Gore-Tex, is a Camelbak a good idea, what kind of gloves should I bring, etc. etc. etc.  Any information regarding anticipated times between aid would also be nice.  Please be specific – if there is a specific jacket people recommend, let us know.  How critical is having a waterproof/breathable jacket vs. just a waterproof one?  Are tights enough or should I have waterproof pants?

            Any web resources would also be nice.

            I am looking forward to seeing several of my good friends from the East Coast out in Silverton in a few weeks (I’m arriving the day before – I want this to be as hard as possible - so I won’t see you guys until the briefing).

            Thanks,

            Keith

            Keith Knipling

            Materials Science and Engineering

            213 Holden Hall

            Virginia Tech

            Blacksburg, VA 24061-0237

            Voice: (540) 231-2105

            Fax: (540) 231-8919

            e-mail: kkniplin@...

          • carolyn erdman
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 21, 2001
              Just got a call from some new folks in town that have moved here from
              Telluride. I have no connection at all nor have seen the place I know nothing.
              Anyway this guy has rooms for rent on main street, 85 a day and 450 a week,
              2 double beds in each cooking stuff, tv, vcr, kitchen, fridge, his name is
              Jim Weller 70-387-5334

              Snow is a melting!!
            • GEH@crosslinkinc.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 21, 2001
                Keith,

                As it says in the runners manual, prepare for ANY kind of weather. Assume you will be on top of Handies at 4-5 am in the dark, with snow on the ground and more coming down, with wind blowing 50 mph. We have had this.

                Seriously, I would take windproof pants, but make sure they have full-length zippers along each leg- this makes them easy to put on. If they are hard to put on or take off, you delay doing so too long beyond when you should have. When I get up high and the wind starts blowing, I find it is better to first put on windproof pants and keep your leg muscles warm, and only put on a jacket if it gets seriously cold. Cyclists will tell you how important it is to keep your leg muscles warm- you will have much less trouble with cramps etc.  Your torso should be left clear to get rid of heat.

                You may want to put extra things in your night bag, either at Ouray or Grouse. A day will have elapsed, who knows what the weather will actually be like..

                I also like to put a second pair of dark glasses in my "morning" bag, so  I don't have to carry them all night. Remember to put on sunscreen in the morning..

                Last year it was pretty warm at Sherman, but we had an afternoon blizzard on Handies- I froze, especially my legs. Always have more than you need..

                I would take more to Silverton- you can watch the last-minute weather and make up your drop bags accordingly. I would take light gloves for the day parts, but don't fool around at night- I use very thick ski gloves. Also, I use a large flashlight. I tried the 2xAA cell route, but those mountains are BIG- you need a corresponding flashlight. Also, assume your feet will be wet for more than half the time, even though this is looking like a relatively dry year from a snow perspective. I apply tons of vaseline, and re-apply it at least once or twice during the run. seems to help with the wet. If you get comfortable with wet feet, it takes your mind off one distraction!

                I tend to wear a ball cap in the day, and a poly-pro ski cap that I can pull down over my ears at night.

                If it is as  hot as it seems to shaping up for, assume you will have to drink from the creeks. I don't bother to treat the water, but if this worries you, get a filter-bottle or the tablets.

                Oh- and a crucifix, rabbits foot or whatever couldn't hurt.....

                Good luck

                Gordon Hardman

                Keith Knipling wrote:

[...]

              • Mike Farris
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 21, 2001
                  >I wanted to start a discussion on the list regarding Hardrock. I
                  >was interested in what people had to say regarding clothes,
                  >hydration systems, lights, etc. i.e. should I bring Gore-Tex, is a
                  >Camelbak a good idea, what kind of gloves should I bring, etc. etc.
                  >etc. Any information regarding anticipated times between aid would
                  >also be nice. Please be specific - if there is a specific jacket
                  >people recommend, let us know. How critical is having a
                  >waterproof/breathable jacket vs. just a waterproof one? Are tights
                  >enough or should I have waterproof pants?

                  There's enough here for a year's worth of discussions, and you still
                  wouldn't know what to do afterwards. I will only say that I was
                  astounded last year at the number of folks that ventured into the
                  mountains in rain and wind with no hat, no gloves, no real raingear,
                  wimpy lights, etc.

                  Everyone seems to carry different amounts of gear. If you are going
                  to go ultralight, be prepared to suffer, DNF, or worse. It's all
                  personal judgement, tempered by experience.

                  See you all out there.

                  Mike

                  Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                  Associate Professor of Biology Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
                  http://www.hamline.edu/depts/biology/mfarris
                • Mike Farris
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 21, 2001
                    BTW, I hear that the latest Outside magazine has the Hardrock article in it...

                    Mike
                    Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                    Associate Professor of Biology Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
                    http://www.hamline.edu/depts/biology/mfarris
                  • Laura Turvey & Todd Burgess
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 21, 2001
                      Keith,
                      I'll skip what I wear (your preferences are probably nailed down by now) and dive straight into what I carry.
                      I have a Camelbak Hawg, which is my mountain buddy. It holds 100 ounces of water, two short-sleeve shirts, one long-sleeve shirt, one pair of packable, waterproof pants (which ride on the outside of the Camelbak), a small container of sunscreen, a pair of thin, waterproof gloves (cotton is useless; if you use your hands to stop a glissade, they're wet for the duration), a skullcap (extremely lightweight cap made of polyester that is helpful when it gets really cold), a glasses case (my prescription sunglasses go in here at night and my regular prescription glasses go here during the day) and my most important article of clothing, a Pneumatic Pullover: lightweight, wind-resistant and water-resistant. When I put that baby on in the wind or rain, I'm fine. I do tend to sweat a lot, though, if I wear it when I'm climbing and it's not windy or raining. I use it only in bad conditions.
                      I try to have my dropbags well-stocked, including a pair of shoes and socks in each.
                      Most important, I think (after suffering hypothermia on the second night twice): Have a heavy, Gortex-type jacket for the second night. When you've been going for 40-plus hours your tired body doesn't feel like producing extra heat (it just wants to go to bed).
                      Todd Burgess

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 21, 2001
                        Moved to Silverton from Telluride??!!? What the hell is going on our there?

                        At 08:32 AM 6/21/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                        >Just got a call from some new folks in town that have moved here from
                        >Telluride. I have no connection at all nor have seen the place I know nothing.
                        >Anyway this guy has rooms for rent on main street, 85 a day and 450 a week,
                        >2 double beds in each cooking stuff, tv, vcr, kitchen, fridge, his name is
                        >Jim Weller 70-387-5334
                        >
                        >Snow is a melting!!

                      • Keith Knipling
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 18, 2001
                          Hello everyone,

                          I still feel like crap, lungs are congested, but I am basking in thick,
                          sticky, humid air that you westerners can only dream of. Oh, to be able to
                          breathe again. I’ll have a report on the way, but I thought you all might
                          enjoy some pictures in the mean time:

                          http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kkniplin/Hardrock%20Web%20Images/

                        • reno_debra@emc.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 18, 2001
                            Great photos, Keith...

                            bummer about the race, I know exactly how you feel in not getting a finish.
                            But what an experience, huh? It was great! I'm still coughing too... not
                            unusual I understand.
                            I'm planning on doing a bit of sketching of some of the course.... might
                            even try to send in a candidate for the "print" for next years run. Would
                            you consider letting me use some of your pictures as a guide?
                            thanks,
                            deb
                            see ya at Masochist?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 30, 2001
                              hi keith, i can't figure out how to bring up the pics. that was some run
                              wasn't it. i'm still coughing and somewhat congested myself. it does take
                              awhile to recover. hope to see you and dad sometime this fall. best regards,
                              john dewalt

                            • John Robinson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 30, 2001
                                Hi John,

                                It was great to meet you at HR this year.
                                Congratulations on a great run. It was really
                                impressive. I was struggling and was happy to make it
                                to the finish, but it was a good learning experience
                                and still fun.

                                I saw your post about Keith's HR pictures. Just
                                thought I'd let you know that I took a few shots of
                                you. If you want to check them out they're on my
                                website at http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                The pictures of you are on the 4th page of Virginius
                                pictures & the 2nd page of Mineral-KT pictures.

                                John Robinson
                                Portland, Oregon

                                --- GoJohnRun@... wrote:
                                > hi keith, i can't figure out how to bring up the
                                > pics. that was some run
                                > wasn't it. i'm still coughing and somewhat
                                > congested myself. it does take
                                > awhile to recover. hope to see you and dad sometime
                                > this fall. best regards,
                                > john dewalt

                                > removed]

                                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                              • John Robinson
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 30, 2001
                                  Oops,

                                  I didn't mean to send that last message to the HR
                                  group.

                                  Anyway, I did want to let everyone know that i've
                                  posted quite a few of my pictures from this years race
                                  and i'm working on the rest.

                                  My website is at:
                                  http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                  It's really an incredible run -- even if I didn't see
                                  any "mythical beasts" out there. (Unless John DeWalt
                                  counts)

                                  John Robinson

                                  http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                                • Keith Knipling
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 31, 2001
                                    Hardrockers,

                                    They are on the VHTRC site ( www.vhtrc.org <http://www.vhtrc.org/> ) if you
                                    can't see them on my filebox. I think it's easier to browse through them on
                                    the VHTRC site anyway, plus you can see Scott Mills' feet. Next time (if
                                    there is one) I'll go out more than 30 hours before the start. It was
                                    obvious to tell that most people acclimated, and even more obvious that I
                                    wasn't one of them! Oh well, if it were easy I would have been
                                    disappointed, and 85 miles ain't bad. I had your splits, John, from last
                                    year on an index card - I knew if I could maintain those, I would finish. I
                                    think anyone would put a lot of money on John DeWalt finishing Hardrock.
                                    Great run.

                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .