Hardrock/Nolan's 14 training runs

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2001
      Would anyone be interested in doing some training runs with me in the
      Sawatch range during the 2 weeks before Hardrock? There are a few sections
      of the Nolan's 14 course that I haven't seen last year and would like to
      explore. My schedule is something like this:

      6/26 (Tue) fly to Denver
      6/27 acclimate to 12,000 ft.
      6/28-29 acclimate to 14,000 ft, Leadville area. I should have no more
      headaches by the third day.
      6/30 drive to El Paso
      7/1 (Sun) Sawyer Mt 26 mile trail run, Kingston NM in the Gila NF (contact
      Mark Dorion, markd@... if you want to run this).
      7/2-7 training in the Sawatch range, staying at the Leadville hostel or
      camping at Winfield or Cottonwood/Buena Vista.
      7/7 (Sat) Leadville marathon.
      7/8-16 camping in Silverton. I would like to climb Sneffels.
      7/13 (Fri) Hardrock
      7/17 return to Florida
      8/1-21 (approx) second trip to CO for Nolan's 14.

      I am most interested in the following climbs in the Sawatch range, but will
      consider others. I can do these on either of my trips.
      - Tabeguache and Shavano from Baldwin Gulch (N of Antero) via Brown's Lake,
      optional summit of Antero also. This would be a full day hike. Tabeguache
      is the only 14er in the Sawatch I haven't climbed yet.
      - Massive to Elbert on the west side of the ridge, return via CO trail to
      Fish Hatchery. Last year I took the CO trail from Massive to Elbert, but
      the west side was 15-30 minutes faster for those who took it.
      - Winfield-La Plata (where Eric and I got lost last year).
      - Elbert via Black Cloud trail in Twin Lakes (may be faster descent than
      Bull Hill, but adds 2 miles of road).
      - Missouri Gulch-Harvard NW ridge via Elkhead Pass. Elevation is
      9-13-11-14K and back. Last year we climbed the NE ridge, but I think the NW
      ridge would be faster from Oxford.
      - Mt Princeton either from Maxwell Gulch or Grouse Canyon. I am thinking
      the Grouse Canyon side from Alpine would be a perfict place for a no-wimps
      10K race. It will take you 7-8 hours if you're in good shape. To see why,
      go to http://mmahoney.teejay.net/nolans/ and click on "More photos -
      Princeton".

      I'm already familiar with the Hardrock course, so I don't need to train on
      it. The most important thing is to get 2 weeks of altitude acclimation,
      staying at 10,000 ft. and climbing to 14,000 almost every day. I'll need to
      do it again before Nolan's, although I do retain some acclimation during my
      2 weeks back in Florida. I can go straight to 14,000 ft. with no headaches.