RE: [hr100] Questions fur yu

  • Catherine Mataisz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
      reply to Jim Fishers questions

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Adam W. Chase [mailto:chase@...]
      Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 12:15 PM
      To: 'hr100@yahoogroups.com'
      Cc: 'richruns@...'; 'jpyra@...'
      Subject: RE: [hr100] Questions fur yu

      I was forwarded your message from some friends who are the HR Group, Roch
      Horton and Catherine Mataisz. They thought I might have some answers
      because I have suffered from some blood sugar problems and do a lot of
      experimentation with different products in doing gear reviews and in an
      effort to improve my running and racing in trail ultras. Most recently I
      have been doing some investigation in the nutrition and running area for a
      book that Nancy Hobbs and I have co-authored, called The Ultimate Guide to
      Trail Running, due out this August from The Lyons Press (see

      The answer to your first question is that there are several low to almost
      no sugar replenishers on the market. One is Conquest, which you won't like
      because it contains Nutrasweet. Ultima is very low in sugar (almost none)
      and gets any sweet flavor from stevia, which is used widely in Japanese
      product but isn't that common in the U.S. Ultima's berry flavors are rather
      strong, but the Passion goes down real nicely and the stuff works very well
      to get the many minerals into your muscles instead of having them sit in
      your stomach because the sugars are blocking the absorption and requiring
      your digestive system to actually pull water away from your working muscles.
      Go figure.

      I understand that the new GU20 product is pretty low in sugar. I tried a
      pre-market sample and it certainly tasted as though it lacked sweetener.
      understanding is that they have dialed the flavor in a bit since then, so
      you may want to try that product when it hits the market in the near future.
      It is designed to work as a complement to sports gels and to facilitate the
      absorption of the minerals into your system.

      Other drinks that you may want to try because they offer a more balanced
      make-up but more than I prefer when running are Revenge, Cytomax, Clip,
      Succeed, and R4. They all have different bells and whistles, but the main
      idea is that they replace most everything you are losing. I tend to favor
      drinking something that is lighter and goes down more quickly and then I use
      salt tablets (Succeed from Ultra Fit, which you can find through
      UltraRunning) to enhance the salt balance, which answers your second

      As far as carbonation, you can always use "aqua con gas" or fizzy water or
      Perrier or Club Soda to get those bubbles into your system. That works very
      well to help with GI problems and bring up some deep belches to release
      pressure. I go for a shot of Coke late in an ultra in part because the
      psychological rush of sugar and caffeine helps push me for a handful of

      Any easier? Why would we do it if it were any easier? I would, however,
      suggest trying some adjustments to your diet both when on the run and during
      those few non-running moments of the day. I am a vegan and have found that
      if I overdo the sugar consumption I can even things out by eating some nuts
      (I prefer soy nuts) in the afternoon and that gets me some needed fat and
      protein to take the edge off for the rest of the day.

      I hope that helps. The hard part is that things change and so what worked
      one year (or one season or one day) may not the next. Its fun trying to get
      it right and otherwise life would be pretty dull.

      Adam W. Chase
      (303) 444-2993