energy Replacement Drink at Hardrock

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2014
      Hardrock is pleased to partner with Tailwind Nutirition at this years
      Hardrock. So that you know a bit more about the energy drink that will be out
      on the course this year, here is something from Tailwind.

      Dale

      Using Tailwind Nutrition at the Hardrock 100

      Tailwind is designed as a "complete fuel" containing a full complement of
      electrolytes and calories. The easiest way to wrap your head around Tailwind
      is to think of the 3 components of your fueling strategy: calories +
      electrolytes + water. You are expending 500+ calories/hr, but in general you
      can physiologically process only between 200-300 calories/hr. The goal is to
      stave off the depletion of your glycogen stores through a combination of what
      you are consuming, your fat stores, and anything else it can convert to
      glucose.

      Your body has about 1.5 hours worth of calories within its glycogen stores,
      and the key to running with Tailwind as part of your fueling strategy is
      figuring out what your caloric intake/hour should be. For the Hardrock 100,
      Tailwind will be provided at a 200 calories/24oz of water solution. What this
      means is that if you fill up a 24oz water bottle with Tailwind, you'll get 200
      calories in that bottle. In addition, you will also have the following amounts
      of electrolytes:

      606mg sodium
      176mg potassium
      52mg calcium
      28mg magnesium

      Please be aware that Tailwind does contain much more sodium than your typical
      15% that most sports drinks provide. For comparison, each S-Cap provides 341mg
      of sodium and 21mg of potassium.

      Tailwind is happy to answer any questions that runners at the Hardrock 100 may
      have. We will be onsite, and you can also reach us via email at
      info@...

      Good Luck!

      Dale Garland
      RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run
      970-259-3693
      www.hardrock100.com
    • Bob Combs

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2014
          HI Bob,
          Tailwind will be the sole energy replacement drink out on the course
          in 2014 and yes, there will be Gu packets at aid stations.
          Dale

        • AJHewey@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2014
            Last year at aid stations there was "coffee" in tea bag form which was awful. Any chance of getting Folgers or some other instant coffee for those of us who love caffeine but won't be dipping into the Tailwind as we have never tried it and think race day might not be the best day to experiment with something new?

> [...]

            >> this
            >> means is that if you fill up a 24oz water bottle with Tailwind, you'll get
            >> 200
            >> calories in that bottle. In addition, you will also have the following
            >> amounts
            >> of electrolytes:
            >>
            >> 606mg sodium
            >> 176mg potassium
            >> 52mg calcium
            >> 28mg magnesium
            >>
            >> Please be aware that Tailwind does contain much more sodium than your
            >> typical
            >> 15% that most sports drinks provide. For comparison, each S-Cap provides
            >> 341mg
            >> of sodium and 21mg of potassium.
            >>
            >> Tailwind is happy to answer any questions that runners at the Hardrock 100
            >> may
            >> have. We will be onsite, and you can also reach us via email at

          • Deb
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2014
              It might be a good time to try some out now... Still a few weeks to get some and see how it works for you!  Just sayin....
              :-)
              NFI in tailwind, but thats what I'd do if I were running.

              Sent from my iPad