No Burrows Park Aid Station

  • cappis@bigfoot.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1 11:36 AM
      As you know, there has been a bit of a course adjustment around the
      Handies Peak area for this year. In fact it is still going on. We
      have received permission to cross some private land from the Cinnamon
      Pass Shelf Road down to Sherman that should provide an interesting
      down climb.

      We have also decided there will not be a full aid station at Burrows
      Park as indicated in the manuals, only some serve yourself water
      containers. The leg from Grouse Gulch to Sherman will be long ~13.3
      mi.--- adjust your planning accordingly.

      John Cappis
    • reno_debra@emc.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1 11:47 AM
        Thanks for the heads-up John... can't wait to get the manuals and start
        reading!
        We all appreciate the hours and hours (and days and weeks) of work that you
        guys put in.

        Deb Reno

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1 12:42 PM
          John,

          As you know, I am a culturally sensitive runner who rarely runs Hardrock
          without socks. However, the ~13.3 mile section from Grouse to Sherman
          seems a bit long and therefore might offend some historically disadvantaged
          cultural groups, walkers, and snowmobilers. So, I propose the Hardrock set
          up a restitution fund to compensate those who feel slighted by the added
          training or supplies such a long section requires. Perhaps a few pence
          from the RD would suffice to start the fund. Please forward my request to
          the RD.

          Belle E. Aikn
          Runner at Large

          >As you know, there has been a bit of a course adjustment around the
          >Handies Peak area for this year. In fact it is still going on. We
          >have received permission to cross some private land from the Cinnamon
          >Pass Shelf Road down to Sherman that should provide an interesting
          >down climb.
          >
          >We have also decided there will not be a full aid station at Burrows
          >Park as indicated in the manuals, only some serve yourself water
          >containers. The leg from Grouse Gulch to Sherman will be long ~13.3
          >mi.--- adjust your planning accordingly.
          >
          >John Cappis

        • Stevan Pattillo
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 3:45 PM
            John, As you may know, we are trying to attract and retain a higher class
            of entrant to the hard rock. Re. the non-aid station at Burrows Park,
            perhaps some flour freer-vegan-culturally diverse-nativo-muffins and
            sparkling water should be considered. If that is a bit too Gucci for the
            race organizers we could go the true minimallist route; a salt lick and a
            picture of several gallons of water.
            Steve Pattillo
          • dale garland
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1 3:52 PM
              Dear Belle E. Aikin,
              I can empathize with your plight and want to make sure that everyone
              who visits our lovely part of the country comes back year after year. I
              would be happy to give you 10% of my annual salary for directing the
              Hardrock. Please bring me a receipt and an essay detailing why you
              wanted to run Hardrock in the first place and I will compensate you.
              Sincerely, The RD

            • laurantodd@pcisys.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1 4:35 PM
                Charlie,
                I took a cursory glance at the manual -- cursory as in: damn, it's only 100
                miles? -- and have a question, did we indeed lose 1.7 miles of wild and tough
                course? (I believe I paid for a full 101.7 this year and don't want to come
                away short-changed.)
                Also, what does John mean when he says the climb to Sherman will be interesting?
                Todd Burgess

              • cappis@bigfoot.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2 10:51 AM
                  Todd:

                  The important thing to look at is you still get 33,000 (minimum) feet
                  of vertical climb. We do our best to not lessen the amount of wild
                  and tough even though the linear distance varies a bit.

                  Any time you drop 300 vertical feet in 0.18 miles like the little cut
                  off getting to the Sherman Road from the Cinnamon Pass shelf road, it
                  is makes life interesting.

                  John

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/