Re: [hr100] No Burrows Park Aid Station

  • laurantodd@pcisys.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Charlie,
      I took a cursory glance at the manual -- cursory as in: damn, it's only 100
      miles? -- and have a question, did we indeed lose 1.7 miles of wild and tough
      course? (I believe I paid for a full 101.7 this year and don't want to come
      away short-changed.)
      Also, what does John mean when he says the climb to Sherman will be interesting?
      Todd Burgess

    • cappis@bigfoot.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001

      • reno_debra@emc.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Thanks for the heads-up John... can't wait to get the manuals and start
          reading!
          We all appreciate the hours and hours (and days and weeks) of work that you
          guys put in.

          Deb Reno

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
            John,

            As you know, I am a culturally sensitive runner who rarely runs Hardrock
            without socks. However, the ~13.3 mile section from Grouse to Sherman
            seems a bit long and therefore might offend some historically disadvantaged
            cultural groups, walkers, and snowmobilers. So, I propose the Hardrock set
            up a restitution fund to compensate those who feel slighted by the added
            training or supplies such a long section requires. Perhaps a few pence
            from the RD would suffice to start the fund. Please forward my request to
            the RD.

            Belle E. Aikn
            Runner at Large

            >As you know, there has been a bit of a course adjustment around the
            >Handies Peak area for this year. In fact it is still going on. We
            >have received permission to cross some private land from the Cinnamon
            >Pass Shelf Road down to Sherman that should provide an interesting
            >down climb.
            >
            >We have also decided there will not be a full aid station at Burrows
            >Park as indicated in the manuals, only some serve yourself water
            >containers. The leg from Grouse Gulch to Sherman will be long ~13.3
            >mi.--- adjust your planning accordingly.
            >
            >John Cappis

          • Stevan Pattillo
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
              John, As you may know, we are trying to attract and retain a higher class
              of entrant to the hard rock. Re. the non-aid station at Burrows Park,
              perhaps some flour freer-vegan-culturally diverse-nativo-muffins and
              sparkling water should be considered. If that is a bit too Gucci for the
              race organizers we could go the true minimallist route; a salt lick and a
              picture of several gallons of water.
              Steve Pattillo
            • dale garland
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
                Dear Belle E. Aikin,
                I can empathize with your plight and want to make sure that everyone
                who visits our lovely part of the country comes back year after year. I
                would be happy to give you 10% of my annual salary for directing the
                Hardrock. Please bring me a receipt and an essay detailing why you
                wanted to run Hardrock in the first place and I will compensate you.
                Sincerely, The RD

              • cappis@bigfoot.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
                  Todd:

                  The important thing to look at is you still get 33,000 (minimum) feet
                  of vertical climb. We do our best to not lessen the amount of wild
                  and tough even though the linear distance varies a bit.

                  Any time you drop 300 vertical feet in 0.18 miles like the little cut
                  off getting to the Sherman Road from the Cinnamon Pass shelf road, it
                  is makes life interesting.

                  John

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/