Re: John DeWalt-beware,may be kinda long

  • cwilson5152000
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15 5:34 AM
      All,
      Last weekend was MMD, 50k in the White Mts of NH. Around the campfire, we shared some John stories from the mid 2000's when he would show up. It was the day b4 his passing. He used the run to visit a non running bud up the ME coast. Sometimes he would show up at my house and camp in the yard in his van. On the MMD's various routes, we'd complain to each other about the toll taken on our old knees of the relentless,steep and rocky dnhills;spent one late night wandering around for an hr trying to find a trail on a boulder slope that turned out to be off to the left side;on night he decided to spend in the Madison Hut with a few others rather than face the journey back to camp in the dark of late night/early morning. Dn in Tenn.,i fondly remember going out to breakfast b4 a trek thru the
      woods at FH. He, Fred Pilon and i headed over to Oak Ridge separately but following each other since after eating, Fred and John were going to play GOLF!!! We pull into this parking lot of a local drug store, head around the back around the dumpsters and into the back door, through the kitchen and out into the eating area of the drug store-The place was populated with locals. We take a booth, John plulls out his own syrup and real butter and the waitress acts like she sees him every day and we order. For a northern boy ,it was a bit surreal. After we eat, John and Fred head to the golf course! John was the real deal. As i became aware of his deep faith, i asked him if my foul mouth bothered him and he said just as long as i didn't take the name of his god in vain,i was ok. Being without a religious bend myself, we had many discussions about his beliefs. He was steadfast in his faith, as he was in all things. He was not at all judgemental about my lack of a faith and never preachy. He lived his faith and let others live as they wanted. He lead by his example. .
      A final thought. I'm a computer idiot but was wondering if anyone could somehow get all the comments about John to his family so the might see how much he touched us all.

      Pax,
      CW

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15 6:46 AM
        I only had a couple encounters with John. In 2004, at HR, John and I left
        Maggie Gulch AS together. We had been close together since the summit of
        Handies. I was struggling to keep up with my pacer, who was trying to push
        me to a faster finish. John, on the other hand, was going faster than his
        pacer could go, and he was a bit frustrated at having to wait for his
        pacer. I suggested to John that we should switch pacers, mostly as a joke.
        He looked at me for a bit, thinking it over, and finally decided he'd just
        stick with his own pacer. He beat me by a big margin to the finish that
        night.

        In 2008, I was pacing at MMT, and I think John was pacing as well. My
        runner dropped out around mile 70 or so, and we needed to get to the
        finish. John was there with his van, and simply gave me the keys (I think
        he was picking up a runner where my runner had dropped) and told me he'd
        see me in the morning at the finish. I had been awake for a long time and
        I dozed off briefly while driving back to the start/finish. I woke up when
        the wheels hit the edge of the road and managed to keep it on the road.
        When I handed the keys back to John later, I thought about telling him,
        and then decided I'd just keep it to myself. He never knew how close he
        came to losing his van that night.

        Damon