Re: John DeWalt

  • Michael Bur
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
      Carl -
      That is a true story but I'm pretty sure it happened in PA -- he had a
      house in PA as well as in Fla.
      He had set off on his own little training adventure/journey run --
      just an 'ol fashioned loosely planned adventure ramble - roads,
      trails, across fields, powerline cuts, whatever - just riff as you go
      along. The plan was to go one way and call home for a ride when he
      was done, whenever/wherever that may be.
      The scene at the diner more or less unfolded as you describe but when
      the cops showed up, they not only thought he was homeless, they
      thought he was delusional too since they couldn't believe his story of
      running on foot on this hot, humid day from where he was telling them
      where he lived since it was over 30 miles away! He didn't have his id
      and had very little money on him -- they called the number he gave
      them but no one answered so that was part of the story too. He did
      get a little annoyed since they just refused to believe what he was
      telling them so that probably escalated the encounter as well...I can
      totally see this, John could sometimes have a "matter of fact, of
      course this is the way is is/was" in his delivery. So yes, they took
      him in as a vagrant until they could sort it all out.

      What a great, classic DeWalt story, thanks for reminding me, Carl.

      On 8/13/2013 at 2:55 PM, "Carl Laniak" wrote:that picture of him
      leaning on the yellow gate....

      even us newbies knew that guy was special.

      moving along in a freezing rain in Pennsylvania one time.
      feeling sorry for myself with a leaky jacket.
      shivering.
      miserable.
      up comes Johnny D.
      mumbles (says) something like, "well, the weather ain't too good, you
      doing
      alright?"
      pulls out a trash bag from his little pack.
      cuts a couple holes in it with his pocket knife.
      sticks his head and arms through....
      keeps going.
      grinning.
      ear to ear.
      he told me one time (i love imitating his storytelling)
      about a long run in the heat in south florida so many years ago.
      he went in a shoney's and mumbled (asked for some water).
      the waitress was taken aback by this homeless guy, dripping sweat,
      slurring
      like a drunk, and demanding water.
      john said he was so hot and dehydrated that he was a little delirious.
      she got the water, and took it to him.
      john tried to take it, but he was a bit out of it and spilled it
      everywhere.
      the manager took one look and listen to john and told him he better
      move
      along.
      he really needed the water so he sat and waited a few minutes to
      compose
      himself.
      by the time he was ready to ask nicely again for water
      (and if you knew john you know he didn't have an unkind or ungrateful
      bone
      in his body)
      the police had been summoned and they, "threw [him] in tha clink!"

      maybe the ones who knew him better can say whether that story is true,
      but
      i don't think it matters.
      when he told it, he had a glint in his eye and was happy. and we all
      laughed and loved him for it.

      what we saw in him, that was something to strive for in our own lives.
      RIP john.
      thank you for being you.
      carl

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/3723358916/in/set-72157621505829510

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/25580644@N06/3565217108/in/set-72157618798630446/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449244328/in/set-72157623659366452

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449008606/in/set-72157623659366452

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449414592/in/set-72157623659366452

      > Three GIANTS of ultrarunning - DeWalt, Herr and Horton:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/113854395/in/set-72057594084383719

    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
        In that story you left out the part how John kept asking the police,
        pointing to the other patrons in the restaurant, "What about them, why
        aren't you talking to them!", which didn't help his plight. As he said
        this, John was his usual staggering, speech slurring self with no ID.
        Another part you forgot to mention or was in the story he told me and Deb
        is that the restaurant sued him for $500. because he accidentally spilled
        water onto the electronic cash register. He fought it, but eventually had
        to pay the money.
        This of course, was during some 30+ mile training run in the heat...

        John was awesome...
        Steve P.

        On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > RIP john.
        > thank you for being you.
        > carl
        >

        > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...> wrote:
        >

        > > DeWalt in front of the Silverton Gym, 2009:
        > >
        > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/3723358916/in/set-72157621505829510
        > >

        > > DeWalt after a 24 ROGAINE in PA in May 2009(Dobies on his right):
        > >

        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/25580644@N06/3565217108/in/set-72157618798630446/
        > >

        > > DeWalt grabs his page, Book 1, Barkley 2009:
        > >
        > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449244328/in/set-72157623659366452
        > >
        > > video clip:
        > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449008606/in/set-72157623659366452
        > >

        > > DeWalt at the famed Barkley "Yellow Gate":
        > >
        > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449414592/in/set-72157623659366452
        > >

        > > Three GIANTS of ultrarunning - DeWalt, Herr and Horton:

      • Kim
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
          Bur! You were the one who told me to ask DeWalt about that time!

          He told me that whole story a few years ago, I guess 2011, and he was still so MAD about it!! He was really crabby! LOL!!

          Kimba
        • Michael Bur
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
            Kimba -
            Yes! He still got riled up about it...I'm glad you got to hear the
            story first hand!
            Steve - I had forgotten about the spilled water -- but of course, that
            was the key turning point of the saga and the beginning of the end for
            him that day...it's too bad that it ended up costing him money but the
            story he got in exchange is priceless!
            On 8/13/2013 at 7:20 PM, "Kim" wrote:Bur! You were the one who told
            me to ask DeWalt about that time!

            He told me that whole story a few years ago, I guess 2011, and he was
            still so MAD about it!! He was really crabby! LOL!!

            Kimba

            Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            To change settings via email:
            hr100-digest@yahoogroups.com
            hr100-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jeb Burchenal
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
              several people mentioned his 2009 finish, but as they say a picture
              (Blake's) is worth...

              https://picasaweb.google.com/HardrockEnduranceRun/Hardrock2009#5359234927201
              538482

              truly inspiring

              RIP

              Jeb Burchenal

              966 Dogwood Dr

              Golden, CO 80401

              303 489-1598

            • Betsy Nye
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                I would be crabby too!John had the biggest smile on his face at the end of his 14 HR finish
                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              • Lois MacKenzie
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 20, 2013
                  The reason there is no milk products in your potato soup is John. He was adamant that milk increases phlegm production, so I tell all of our fantastic volunteer chefs "No Milk or butter in the potato soup! John says so!"

                  We would go on walks before the run and I would show him plants he could eat and he would bless me by acting like he thought I was special for sharing with him.It was him that was special.

                  One morning I sat at his feet on Charlie's floor while he read his bible, which he did every morning.

                  But then there was that finger! He dislocated his little finger coming down to Ouray from Engineer. He finished the run with that finger sticking out at a very unnatural angle. He insisted I pull on it, which was unsuccessful and then resisted going to the ED until I got mad at him.

                  One run, he knew he had time so stopped in at Charlie's for a shower before crossing the line with a couple minutes short of 48 hrs.
                  May we all be such a blessing to each other as he was to each of us. He was The Elder of our Tribe.

                  Keep in Touch,
                  LMac

                • Nan Keith Frates
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 21, 2013
                    Tyler and I raised a prerace Chimay to John before Leadville last weekend. Tyler must have felt some pain, because he certainly ran faster! Me, not so much, but I did plug away and got to the finish line several hours later - and always inspired by the spirit of our Tribe Elder.

                    Cheers to John!

                    Kirk Apt
                    kapt@...