John DeWalt

  • Michael Bur
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
      DeWalt in front of the Silverton Gym, 2009:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/3723358916/in/set-72157621505829510
      DeWalt after a 24 ROGAINE in PA in May 2009(Dobies on his right):
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/25580644@N06/3565217108/in/set-72157618798630446/

      DeWalt grabs his page, Book 1, Barkley 2009:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449244328/in/set-72157623659366452
      video clip:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449008606/in/set-72157623659366452

      DeWalt at the famed Barkley "Yellow Gate":
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449414592/in/set-72157623659366452

      Three GIANTS of ultrarunning - DeWalt, Herr and Horton:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/113854395/in/set-72057594084383719

    • Michael Bur
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
        Carl -
        That is a true story but I'm pretty sure it happened in PA -- he had a
        house in PA as well as in Fla.
        He had set off on his own little training adventure/journey run --
        just an 'ol fashioned loosely planned adventure ramble - roads,
        trails, across fields, powerline cuts, whatever - just riff as you go
        along. The plan was to go one way and call home for a ride when he
        was done, whenever/wherever that may be.
        The scene at the diner more or less unfolded as you describe but when
        the cops showed up, they not only thought he was homeless, they
        thought he was delusional too since they couldn't believe his story of
        running on foot on this hot, humid day from where he was telling them
        where he lived since it was over 30 miles away! He didn't have his id
        and had very little money on him -- they called the number he gave
        them but no one answered so that was part of the story too. He did
        get a little annoyed since they just refused to believe what he was
        telling them so that probably escalated the encounter as well...I can
        totally see this, John could sometimes have a "matter of fact, of
        course this is the way is is/was" in his delivery. So yes, they took
        him in as a vagrant until they could sort it all out.

        What a great, classic DeWalt story, thanks for reminding me, Carl.

        On 8/13/2013 at 2:55 PM, "Carl Laniak" wrote:that picture of him
        leaning on the yellow gate....

        even us newbies knew that guy was special.

        moving along in a freezing rain in Pennsylvania one time.
        feeling sorry for myself with a leaky jacket.
        shivering.
        miserable.
        up comes Johnny D.
        mumbles (says) something like, "well, the weather ain't too good, you
        doing
        alright?"
        pulls out a trash bag from his little pack.
        cuts a couple holes in it with his pocket knife.
        sticks his head and arms through....
        keeps going.
        grinning.
        ear to ear.
        he told me one time (i love imitating his storytelling)
        about a long run in the heat in south florida so many years ago.
        he went in a shoney's and mumbled (asked for some water).
        the waitress was taken aback by this homeless guy, dripping sweat,
        slurring
        like a drunk, and demanding water.
        john said he was so hot and dehydrated that he was a little delirious.
        she got the water, and took it to him.
        john tried to take it, but he was a bit out of it and spilled it
        everywhere.
        the manager took one look and listen to john and told him he better
        move
        along.
        he really needed the water so he sat and waited a few minutes to
        compose
        himself.
        by the time he was ready to ask nicely again for water
        (and if you knew john you know he didn't have an unkind or ungrateful
        bone
        in his body)
        the police had been summoned and they, "threw [him] in tha clink!"

        maybe the ones who knew him better can say whether that story is true,
        but
        i don't think it matters.
        when he told it, he had a glint in his eye and was happy. and we all
        laughed and loved him for it.

        what we saw in him, that was something to strive for in our own lives.
        RIP john.
        thank you for being you.
        carl
        On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Michael Bur wrote:

        > DeWalt in front of the Silverton Gym, 2009:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/3723358916/in/set-72157621505829510

        > DeWalt after a 24 ROGAINE in PA in May 2009(Dobies on his right):

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/25580644@N06/3565217108/in/set-72157618798630446/

        > DeWalt grabs his page, Book 1, Barkley 2009:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449244328/in/set-72157623659366452

        > video clip:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449008606/in/set-72157623659366452

        > DeWalt at the famed Barkley "Yellow Gate":

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449414592/in/set-72157623659366452

        > Three GIANTS of ultrarunning - DeWalt, Herr and Horton:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/113854395/in/set-72057594084383719

      • Steve Pero
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
          In that story you left out the part how John kept asking the police,
          pointing to the other patrons in the restaurant, "What about them, why
          aren't you talking to them!", which didn't help his plight. As he said
          this, John was his usual staggering, speech slurring self with no ID.
          Another part you forgot to mention or was in the story he told me and Deb
          is that the restaurant sued him for $500. because he accidentally spilled
          water onto the electronic cash register. He fought it, but eventually had
          to pay the money.
          This of course, was during some 30+ mile training run in the heat...

          John was awesome...
          Steve P.

          On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > RIP john.
          > thank you for being you.
          > carl
          >

          > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...> wrote:
          >

          > > DeWalt in front of the Silverton Gym, 2009:
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/3723358916/in/set-72157621505829510
          > >

          > > DeWalt after a 24 ROGAINE in PA in May 2009(Dobies on his right):
          > >

          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/25580644@N06/3565217108/in/set-72157618798630446/
          > >

          > > DeWalt grabs his page, Book 1, Barkley 2009:
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449244328/in/set-72157623659366452
          > >
          > > video clip:
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449008606/in/set-72157623659366452
          > >

          > > DeWalt at the famed Barkley "Yellow Gate":
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449414592/in/set-72157623659366452
          > >

          > > Three GIANTS of ultrarunning - DeWalt, Herr and Horton:

        • Kim
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
            Bur! You were the one who told me to ask DeWalt about that time!

            He told me that whole story a few years ago, I guess 2011, and he was still so MAD about it!! He was really crabby! LOL!!

            Kimba
          • Michael Bur
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
              Kimba -
              Yes! He still got riled up about it...I'm glad you got to hear the
              story first hand!
              Steve - I had forgotten about the spilled water -- but of course, that
              was the key turning point of the saga and the beginning of the end for
              him that day...it's too bad that it ended up costing him money but the
              story he got in exchange is priceless!
              On 8/13/2013 at 7:20 PM, "Kim" wrote:Bur! You were the one who told
              me to ask DeWalt about that time!

              He told me that whole story a few years ago, I guess 2011, and he was
              still so MAD about it!! He was really crabby! LOL!!

              Kimba

              Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              To change settings via email:
              hr100-digest@yahoogroups.com
              hr100-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Jeb Burchenal
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
                several people mentioned his 2009 finish, but as they say a picture
                (Blake's) is worth...

                https://picasaweb.google.com/HardrockEnduranceRun/Hardrock2009#5359234927201
                538482

                truly inspiring

                RIP

                Jeb Burchenal

                966 Dogwood Dr

                Golden, CO 80401

                303 489-1598

              • Betsy Nye
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                  I would be crabby too!John had the biggest smile on his face at the end of his 14 HR finish
                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                • Lois MacKenzie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 20, 2013
                    The reason there is no milk products in your potato soup is John. He was adamant that milk increases phlegm production, so I tell all of our fantastic volunteer chefs "No Milk or butter in the potato soup! John says so!"

                    We would go on walks before the run and I would show him plants he could eat and he would bless me by acting like he thought I was special for sharing with him.It was him that was special.

                    One morning I sat at his feet on Charlie's floor while he read his bible, which he did every morning.

                    But then there was that finger! He dislocated his little finger coming down to Ouray from Engineer. He finished the run with that finger sticking out at a very unnatural angle. He insisted I pull on it, which was unsuccessful and then resisted going to the ED until I got mad at him.

                    One run, he knew he had time so stopped in at Charlie's for a shower before crossing the line with a couple minutes short of 48 hrs.
                    May we all be such a blessing to each other as he was to each of us. He was The Elder of our Tribe.

                    Keep in Touch,
                    LMac

                  • Nan Keith Frates
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 21, 2013
                      Tyler and I raised a prerace Chimay to John before Leadville last weekend. Tyler must have felt some pain, because he certainly ran faster! Me, not so much, but I did plug away and got to the finish line several hours later - and always inspired by the spirit of our Tribe Elder.

                      Cheers to John!

                      Kirk Apt
                      kapt@...