John DeWalt

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 13 6:58 AM
      So many stories and memories of our good friend...but one thing that Deb
      and I will carry through with us always is his influence on us to not eat
      meat.
      - He discussed with Deb about her asthma at Hardrock a long time ago and
      told her to stop drinking milk, she did and her symptoms went away, never
      to return. You've seem what Deb's been able to do in her late 50's, thanks
      to John.
      - Every year John would say to us "Why do you want to eat your friends?".
      Deb and I are now vegans thanks to John. He was the biggest influence.
      - Just this past Hardrock when I said that I am no longer running 100's,
      I would tell anyone who inquired why that "I'm no John Dewalt".

      My first time meeting John was in 2000...Greg Loomis and I had just driven
      across the country to Silverton, he to run, me to pace Sue Johnston. When
      we arrived in town, we parked and starting walking towards Kendall Peak,
      walking in front of the Avalanche Cafe when we hear :Now there are two
      Hardrockers!". We look over and see two burly, gnarly looking old men
      sitting at a table on the front porch. We introduced ourselves and got to
      meet John and his good friend Rollin Perry. A couple of days before
      Hardrock this year while sitting at that same table with Billy Simpson, we
      decided to give John a call. I had tried calling him a couple of days
      earlier and didn't get a call back. This time he answered and Billy and I
      got to have our final conversation with him. I reminded him of that time I
      met him in 2000 and that I was sitting at that same table. He asked if he
      could speak to Deb, but she wasn't there. That day John sounded sad that he
      couldn't be with his Hardrock friends, I'm glad I got to speak with him one
      last time before we ran Hardrock for him.

      John, rest in peace....you will be missed by many,
      Steve and Deb

    • Jeff List
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 13 8:10 AM
        I first met John at the 2007 MMD50K -- a small, underground race in
        the exceedingly rocky White Mountains of New Hampshire. John
        and Sue Thompson came to the half-way aid station at dusk after something
        like 14 hours, and were encouraged to stop. No. Way.
        Morning came -- still no John and Sue. Some voiced concern -- should
        we go out looking for them? Umm -- no, said others who knew
        John from Hardrock, from Barkley, from just knowing what John
        was made of. We went out to breakfast, came back, and they were done,
        finishing the 50K in 28:01 -- just no such thing as quit in John DeWalt.
        At that race, I was a newly-minted ultrarunner, and John gave me great
        encouragement to aspire to run Hardrock. It was a privilege to witness John's
        last amazing Hardrock finish in 2009, something to rememeber whenever things
        seem like they're getting tough.
        RIP, John.

      • Gerry Roach
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 13 9:20 AM
          John DeWalt. Here was a wonderful man. Tough as nails. If you asked him a question, he always had a no nonsense, shoot-from-the-hip response. He would give out constructive criticism, whether requested or not. He was sure of himself. He had confidence in his advice, especially in runner nutrition. I asked him for advice frequently, as we all did.
          Once, I asked him how to avoid that "spacey" feeling while doing long events like Hardrock . "Essential minerals. Put them in your water," he replied. I took the sage advice and it worked.

          Remember John's 2009 Hardrock finish?As he approached the Rock, John was listing to one side and exhausted, but he never gave up or gave in. He just kept pushing. I also had the good fortune to finish Hardrock in 2009 and you don't see me cheering him on at that finish line because I was still BEHIND John and still coming in, pushing hard. I was able to get there because John taught me how to do it. I never gave up or give in. This advice will hold true for any runner who approaches that big Rock. To get there takes some real grit. That's the kind of stuff John DeWalt was made of and known for by everyone at Hardrock.

          Hardrock won't be the same. We just lost a key player: John DeWalt. He was grass roots and the finest Old Guard runner I have ever known.

          God Bless John DeWalt.

          Jennifer Roach
        • Michael Bur
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 13 10:46 AM
            DeWalt in front of the Silverton Gym, 2009:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/3723358916/in/set-72157621505829510
            DeWalt after a 24 ROGAINE in PA in May 2009(Dobies on his right):
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/25580644@N06/3565217108/in/set-72157618798630446/

            DeWalt grabs his page, Book 1, Barkley 2009:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449244328/in/set-72157623659366452
            video clip:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449008606/in/set-72157623659366452

            DeWalt at the famed Barkley "Yellow Gate":
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449414592/in/set-72157623659366452

            Three GIANTS of ultrarunning - DeWalt, Herr and Horton:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/113854395/in/set-72057594084383719

          • Michael Bur
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 13 2:08 PM
              Carl -
              That is a true story but I'm pretty sure it happened in PA -- he had a
              house in PA as well as in Fla.
              He had set off on his own little training adventure/journey run --
              just an 'ol fashioned loosely planned adventure ramble - roads,
              trails, across fields, powerline cuts, whatever - just riff as you go
              along. The plan was to go one way and call home for a ride when he
              was done, whenever/wherever that may be.
              The scene at the diner more or less unfolded as you describe but when
              the cops showed up, they not only thought he was homeless, they
              thought he was delusional too since they couldn't believe his story of
              running on foot on this hot, humid day from where he was telling them
              where he lived since it was over 30 miles away! He didn't have his id
              and had very little money on him -- they called the number he gave
              them but no one answered so that was part of the story too. He did
              get a little annoyed since they just refused to believe what he was
              telling them so that probably escalated the encounter as well...I can
              totally see this, John could sometimes have a "matter of fact, of
              course this is the way is is/was" in his delivery. So yes, they took
              him in as a vagrant until they could sort it all out.

              What a great, classic DeWalt story, thanks for reminding me, Carl.

              On 8/13/2013 at 2:55 PM, "Carl Laniak" wrote:that picture of him
              leaning on the yellow gate....

              even us newbies knew that guy was special.

              moving along in a freezing rain in Pennsylvania one time.
              feeling sorry for myself with a leaky jacket.
              shivering.
              miserable.
              up comes Johnny D.
              mumbles (says) something like, "well, the weather ain't too good, you
              doing
              alright?"
              pulls out a trash bag from his little pack.
              cuts a couple holes in it with his pocket knife.
              sticks his head and arms through....
              keeps going.
              grinning.
              ear to ear.
              he told me one time (i love imitating his storytelling)
              about a long run in the heat in south florida so many years ago.
              he went in a shoney's and mumbled (asked for some water).
              the waitress was taken aback by this homeless guy, dripping sweat,
              slurring
              like a drunk, and demanding water.
              john said he was so hot and dehydrated that he was a little delirious.
              she got the water, and took it to him.
              john tried to take it, but he was a bit out of it and spilled it
              everywhere.
              the manager took one look and listen to john and told him he better
              move
              along.
              he really needed the water so he sat and waited a few minutes to
              compose
              himself.
              by the time he was ready to ask nicely again for water
              (and if you knew john you know he didn't have an unkind or ungrateful
              bone
              in his body)
              the police had been summoned and they, "threw [him] in tha clink!"

              maybe the ones who knew him better can say whether that story is true,
              but
              i don't think it matters.
              when he told it, he had a glint in his eye and was happy. and we all
              laughed and loved him for it.

              what we saw in him, that was something to strive for in our own lives.
              RIP john.
              thank you for being you.
              carl

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 13 2:31 PM
                In that story you left out the part how John kept asking the police,
                pointing to the other patrons in the restaurant, "What about them, why
                aren't you talking to them!", which didn't help his plight. As he said
                this, John was his usual staggering, speech slurring self with no ID.
                Another part you forgot to mention or was in the story he told me and Deb
                is that the restaurant sued him for $500. because he accidentally spilled
                water onto the electronic cash register. He fought it, but eventually had
                to pay the money.
                This of course, was during some 30+ mile training run in the heat...

                John was awesome...
                Steve P.

                On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > RIP john.
                > thank you for being you.
                > carl
                >

                > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Michael Bur <mjcbur@...> wrote:
                >

                > > DeWalt in front of the Silverton Gym, 2009:
                > >
                > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/3723358916/in/set-72157621505829510
                > >

                > > DeWalt after a 24 ROGAINE in PA in May 2009(Dobies on his right):
                > >

                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/25580644@N06/3565217108/in/set-72157618798630446/
                > >

                > > DeWalt grabs his page, Book 1, Barkley 2009:
                > >
                > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449244328/in/set-72157623659366452
                > >
                > > video clip:
                > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449008606/in/set-72157623659366452
                > >

                > > DeWalt at the famed Barkley "Yellow Gate":
                > >
                > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/4449414592/in/set-72157623659366452
                > >

                > > Three GIANTS of ultrarunning - DeWalt, Herr and Horton:

              • Kim
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 13 4:20 PM
                  Bur! You were the one who told me to ask DeWalt about that time!

                  He told me that whole story a few years ago, I guess 2011, and he was still so MAD about it!! He was really crabby! LOL!!

                  Kimba
                • Michael Bur
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 13 5:42 PM
                    Kimba -
                    Yes! He still got riled up about it...I'm glad you got to hear the
                    story first hand!
                    Steve - I had forgotten about the spilled water -- but of course, that
                    was the key turning point of the saga and the beginning of the end for
                    him that day...it's too bad that it ended up costing him money but the
                    story he got in exchange is priceless!
                    On 8/13/2013 at 7:20 PM, "Kim" wrote:Bur! You were the one who told
                    me to ask DeWalt about that time!

                    He told me that whole story a few years ago, I guess 2011, and he was
                    still so MAD about it!! He was really crabby! LOL!!

                    Kimba

                    Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    To change settings via email:
                    hr100-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    hr100-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Jeb Burchenal
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 13 8:25 PM
                      several people mentioned his 2009 finish, but as they say a picture
                      (Blake's) is worth...

                      https://picasaweb.google.com/HardrockEnduranceRun/Hardrock2009#5359234927201
                      538482

                      truly inspiring

                      RIP

                      Jeb Burchenal

                      966 Dogwood Dr

                      Golden, CO 80401

                      303 489-1598

                    • Betsy Nye
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 15 12:25 AM
                        I would be crabby too!John had the biggest smile on his face at the end of his 14 HR finish
                        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      • Lois MacKenzie
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 20 4:04 PM
                          The reason there is no milk products in your potato soup is John. He was adamant that milk increases phlegm production, so I tell all of our fantastic volunteer chefs "No Milk or butter in the potato soup! John says so!"

                          We would go on walks before the run and I would show him plants he could eat and he would bless me by acting like he thought I was special for sharing with him.It was him that was special.

                          One morning I sat at his feet on Charlie's floor while he read his bible, which he did every morning.

                          But then there was that finger! He dislocated his little finger coming down to Ouray from Engineer. He finished the run with that finger sticking out at a very unnatural angle. He insisted I pull on it, which was unsuccessful and then resisted going to the ED until I got mad at him.

                          One run, he knew he had time so stopped in at Charlie's for a shower before crossing the line with a couple minutes short of 48 hrs.
                          May we all be such a blessing to each other as he was to each of us. He was The Elder of our Tribe.

                          Keep in Touch,
                          LMac

                        • Nan Keith Frates
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 21 10:39 PM
                            Tyler and I raised a prerace Chimay to John before Leadville last weekend. Tyler must have felt some pain, because he certainly ran faster! Me, not so much, but I did plug away and got to the finish line several hours later - and always inspired by the spirit of our Tribe Elder.

                            Cheers to John!

                            Kirk Apt
                            kapt@...