John Dewalt

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2013
      Hardrockers,
      I received this from Joe Salette in Ouray. Once again, Hardrockers across the
      world are saddened by this news.
      Dale

      "It is with great sadness that I write you to inform you of John DeWalt's
      passing. He was a great friend and tremendous person. I spoke with John many
      times over the past few years when he was absent from Hardrock, and most
      recently about 3 weeks ago. As you know, he had not been doing that well, but
      put a great face on it. John died this past Saturday evening, August 10. He
      will most certainly be missed and loved by all."

      Best Regards,

      Joe Salette

      Ouray
    • kaitainen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2013
        Sad news, indeed, though not quite as sad knowing he had an amazing life and enjoyed darn near every moment I ever saw in his presence.

        I spent some trail time last weekend at Angeles Crest telling my favorite DeWalt tale. I'll
        tell it here:

        It was 2004 Hardrock, the first year I was to finish. John had left KT
        just ahead of me and was moving very slowly up that shelf trail - frankly, it didn't look
        good. He was kind of gimpy and shuffling along. I couldn't help but think,
        "John, this early??? that's not a good sign..." But then, just as I was
        about to easily pass him with my own marginal strolling speed, he decided
        to start jogging. So he did, a shuffle that still looked kind of
        disjointed if you didn't also notice that he was jogging uphill at 11,000' elevation
        at less than 10 minute pace. And so I learned the 'secret' of John DeWalt:
        leg speed of the gods.

        That's one of my DeWalt stories, but it shows that just looking at the
        surface is a bad, bad way to judge anything or anyone.

        Some photos I love:
        He wears the colors with pride:
        http://varnermiles.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/dewalt.jpg?w=640

        He always inspired the younger generations (and there were lots of younger
        generations relative to him, which was part of what was inspiring!):
        http://lh3.ggpht.com/-sanG-vPNBL4/RrZhC-5Vo3I/AAAAAAAABJg/XTzokYKR3jI/s512/
        DSC_8187.JPG

        Andrea
        andrea@...