Re: [hr100] Barkley

  • GEH@crosslinkinc.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 12, 2001
      Good point Steve- I know that toward the end of HR I am not quite clear what my gender is (or why it used to matter...).

      Gordon Hardman

      Stevan Pattillo wrote:

      Hey! Hey! Was that an insult? I think we men may not be as highly evolved
      as she thinks.
      Maybe "de-volved" is a better descriptor. I know that after about fifty
      miles I feel like I'm mantally back with the flat worms..
      Steve Pattillo

    • LaForme
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
        No, Steve,
        It wasn't an insult, it was a compliment. I think its really important to
        preserve our primitive instincts and channel them into useful activities,
        such as course marking, or even book placement (in extreme cases). I just
        had a sort of epiphany about where male persons find the drive to expend so
        much energy doing these things.Territorial instincts are obviously still
        strong and I'd much rather see them gratified in creative ways than in old
        fashioned duking it out.
        Ginny LaForme
        Espanola,NM
        rlaforme@...
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
          For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra list I've found two
          descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David Horton's web site,
          www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short, typically self-effacing article
          by Blake Wood, the other is a longer, typically...well, typical, piece by
          David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley ever again. Ya, right.
          Steve Pero has also written about his experience in Tennessee.
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
            --- robert boeder <boedr@...> wrote:
            > For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra
            > list I've found two
            > descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David
            > Horton's web site,
            > www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short,
            > typically self-effacing article
            > by Blake Wood, the other is a longer,
            > typically...well, typical, piece by
            > David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley
            > ever again. Ya, right.
            > Steve Pero has also written about his experience in
            > Tennessee.

            I have links to all of these plus photos and results
            at http://mmahoney.teejay.net/barkley/

            =====

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Rich Limacher
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 14, 2001
              This, from her poem, just about says it all.

              (And, notice, Chaennnon does in five lines what it took me
              to do in about 5,000! :)

              "Have you not heard the rumor?
              So clean. So fine.
              I AM BARKLEY!
              THE BARKLEY!
              I eat my young alive."

              --Çhaennnon, Sacrificial Virgin, Barkley 2001

              Well done, my courageous youthful fellow "lunch"! :-)
              Very well done indeed!

              And what a pleasure now finally to have made your
              acquaintance!

              Yours troubly,
              Barkley scRitch