Hardrock-update on West Fork fire

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
      Hi Hardrockers,
      There have been many questions regarding how the West Fork Fire
      complex
      has and/or will impact this years Hardrock. We are monitoring this situation
      very closely and will keep you updated as to what we learn and decide.
      Presently, this is what we know. Portions of the Hardrock course in Pole
      Creek are closed to all vehicular and foot traffic. We will get an update and
      possible projection as to whether or not this portion will remain closed for
      7/12-14 tomorrow or Tuesday.
      The $64,000 question on everybody's mind is whether or not we will
      cancel
      Hardrock this year. As many of you know we have only had to do this once and
      hopefully we will not have to do it this year. We are gathering information
      from the USFS, BLM weather forecasts, county officials road closures, course
      re-routing and communications sources. Any decision to cancel Hardrock this
      year will be made rationally, with the safety of runners, volunteers, crews,
      firefighters and affected residents being paramount of our concerns.
      If you would like to see the updates on the West Fork Fire complex,
      here is a great resource (thanks to Hardrock co-communications director Shauna
      Blaylock for this link)
      http://inciweb.org/incident/3436/
      Say Tuned,
      Dale
    • Diana Finkel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
        Thanks for the update Dale. I am optimistic about the fires and HR.
        We are back home- as of Friday. It is great to be home, smoky at times and will be sad/interesting to see the condition of some of our favorite trails once the fire is contained and we can get back into the forest. We’ll be witnesses to the post-fire regrowth process but I know some of my favorite runs are forever changed. The fire fighters have done amazing work, they put in a perimeter around the town and kept everyone’s house safe. It is strange to see a Red Cross Disaster Relief trailer here in South Fork. It is quiet here, most of the Texans (who spend the summers here) have stayed away so today we saw more helicopters flying overhead than cars.
        We have gotten rain all 3 days we’ve been back and that feels great- today was a real monsoon soaker. Hopefully that pattern continues.
        Thanks for keeping us posted.
        Hope you are well.
        Happy 4th- we’ve had enough fireworks around here.
        Thanks, Diana

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
          Wow, diana I didnt know you lived in south Fork. We are glad the town was saved...but it is hard to see the forests you love charred and dead. We, like so many others on this list, have been living with fires way too often in The last few years. Our NM forests are probably not going to recover in many areas ever due to climate change. Its sad. Glad you guys are safe.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Jun 30, 2013, at 6:20 PM, "Diana Finkel" <dianafinkel@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the update Dale. I am optimistic about the fires and HR.
          > We are back home- as of Friday. It is great to be home, smoky at times and will be sad/interesting to see the condition of some of our favorite trails once the fire is contained and we can get back into the forest. We’ll be witnesses to the post-fire regrowth process but I know some of my favorite runs are forever changed. The fire fighters have done amazing work, they put in a perimeter around the town and kept everyone’s house safe. It is strange to see a Red Cross Disaster Relief trailer here in South Fork. It is quiet here, most of the Texans (who spend the summers here) have stayed away so today we saw more helicopters flying overhead than cars.
          > We have gotten rain all 3 days we’ve been back and that feels great- today was a real monsoon soaker. Hopefully that pattern continues.
          > Thanks for keeping us posted.
          > Hope you are well.
          > Happy 4th- we’ve had enough fireworks around here.
          > Thanks, Diana

        • Stevan Pattillo
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1 7:54 AM
            Diana, Be safe. Steve-o

            On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Diana Finkel <dianafinkel@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks for the update Dale. I am optimistic about the fires and HR.
            > We are back home- as of Friday. It is great to be home, smoky at times and
            > will be sad/interesting to see the condition of some of our favorite trails
            > once the fire is contained and we can get back into the forest. We�ll be
            > witnesses to the post-fire regrowth process but I know some of my favorite
            > runs are forever changed. The fire fighters have done amazing work, they
            > put in a perimeter around the town and kept everyone�s house safe. It is
            > strange to see a Red Cross Disaster Relief trailer here in South Fork. It
            > is quiet here, most of the Texans (who spend the summers here) have stayed
            > away so today we saw more helicopters flying overhead than cars.
            > We have gotten rain all 3 days we�ve been back and that feels great- today
            > was a real monsoon soaker. Hopefully that pattern continues.
            > Thanks for keeping us posted.
            > Hope you are well.
            > Happy 4th- we�ve had enough fireworks around here.
            > Thanks, Diana

            Dispatched into the ether, by some frightfully clever means, that are
            totally indistinguishable from magic.