[hr100] gaiters etc.

  • Roger Wiegand
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2000
      Hello everybody! This is Roger Wiegand, last year's caboose. Like Charlie
      Thorn, I too avoid gaiters. It's not just the weight of the material, but
      the water too. Wet feet and socks are inevitable at Hardrock, and with
      gaiters it just takes longer for your socks and shoes to dry out. I have the
      same clothing scheme (and I have to allow for two nights): Shorts all the
      way, but tights for occasional use. (I put them on for the Virginius
      descent, but it was all over so fast it was not worth the effort.) They were
      helpful on the cold, wet climb up to Engineer Pass. I wear a long-sleeve
      polypro shirt, but keep the sleeves rolled up most of the time. I always
      have a superlight waterproof (well, sort of) jacket with me, though it's main
      purpose is as a wind breaker for occasional use. A six-hour rainstorm would
      make me pretty miserable I think. I leave a dry pair of socks at most drop
      points and occasionally change. I also leave a variety of shoes scattered
      around but generally stick with one pair.

      Anyone interested in the view from the caboose (the saga of a last-place
      finisher) can check out http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand/HR.html
      Eventually I'll put up some pictures, but for now it's just text.

      See you all in a few months.

      Roger

      Roger A. Wiegand
      http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand
    • Ginny La Forme
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2000
        Hi

        I wear the really short strtchy OR gaitors. Have lots of problems w/ rocks
        & snow in shoes: poss. because my heels and ankles are so narrow. My feet
        are wet all the time, gaitors or not. That's life in heaven, uh, I mean
        the HRH course. I tried full ht smart wool socks, but they bunched up in my
        shoes when wet, so I'm back to dbl layer cool max, need some higher ones to
        be more comfy under gaitors.

        I wear a tank top or sports bra ( I think the guys would look cute in these
        & not have nipple problems ) with a hi tec long sleeve over that. My long
        sleeves have a long enough zipper so I can pull them on & off my shoulders&
        leave them around my waist w/out taking off my shoulder strapped water
        pack. I carry a very light fully water proof jacket that doesnt breath, the
        whole way. I've even used plastic disposable jackets w/ good results. I can
        pull the back of the jacket down from around my waist on snow slides and
        dont need tights or wind pants, except at night ( esp. the 2'nd night) (
        but Charlie & a Lot of you folks wouldn't know about that ! ) I also use
        some kinda fleece top @ night. Oh yeah ! I do also wear shorts the whole
        way.

        Last year I used a waist pack for the 2'nd !/2 and had stomach problems for
        the 1'st time, so now I'm comitted to my shoulder pack. I'm going to carry
        a titanium cup for drinking out of streams where I think it might be safe,
        since other folks are doing it w/ no harm. This worked well for us in the
        Eco Challange in BC.

        See Y'all

        Ginny La Forme rlaforme@...
        325 Onate St. 505-753-3291