Re: [hr100] Barkley

  • Stevan Pattillo
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
      Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
      When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
      from that of others involved?
      Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
      Steve
    • Charles T. Thorn
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
        Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
        about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
        potties every mile.

        Charlie

        >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
        >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
        >from that of others involved?
        >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
        >Steve

      • dale garland
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
          Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP or the latest set of
          federal government budget worksheets (your choice) in every runners
          entry bag!
          The RD

          "Charles T. Thorn" wrote:

          > Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
          > about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
          > potties every mile.
          >
          > Charlie
          >
          > >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
          > >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
          > >from that of others involved?
          > >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
          > >Steve

        • Carl Jess
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
            --- dale garland <ddmb@...> wrote:
            > Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP
            > or the latest set of
            > federal government budget worksheets (your choice)
            > in every runners
            > entry bag!
            > The RD

            If you do make sure that the worksheets are printed on
            recycled paper. Maybe that will help the CEC accept
            HRH as an environmentally friendly race.

            =====
            Carl Jess
            Bloomfield, NM

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Charles T. Thorn
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
              Dale, etal,

              I just invented the perfect solution that technology can provide. It's a
              double outhouse in bunk style. I believe this solution will provide
              adequate throughput as well as economy of scale. Please arrange to put one
              every other mile beginning about mile 20.

              Thanks

              Charlie

              >Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP or the latest set of
              >federal government budget worksheets (your choice) in every runners
              >entry bag!
              >The RD
              >
              >"Charles T. Thorn" wrote:
              >>
              >> Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
              >> about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
              >> potties every mile.
              >>
              >> Charlie
              >>
              >> >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
              >> >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
              >> >from that of others involved?
              >> >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
              >> >Steve

            • LaForme
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
                It must be the strong underlying primitive instincts of territorial marking
                that cause so many otherwise seemingly "evolved" human males to be facinated
                by scatology.
                Ginny LaForme
                Espanola,NM
                rlaforme@...

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 12, 2001
                  Hey! Hey! Was that an insult? I think we men may not be as highly evolved
                  as she thinks.
                  Maybe "de-volved" is a better descriptor. I know that after about fifty
                  miles I feel like I'm mantally back with the flat worms..
                  Steve Pattillo
                • GEH@crosslinkinc.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                      No, Steve,
                      It wasn't an insult, it was a compliment. I think its really important to
                      preserve our primitive instincts and channel them into useful activities,
                      such as course marking, or even book placement (in extreme cases). I just
                      had a sort of epiphany about where male persons find the drive to expend so
                      much energy doing these things.Territorial instincts are obviously still
                      strong and I'd much rather see them gratified in creative ways than in old
                      fashioned duking it out.
                      Ginny LaForme
                      Espanola,NM
                      rlaforme@...
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                        For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra list I've found two
                        descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David Horton's web site,
                        www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short, typically self-effacing article
                        by Blake Wood, the other is a longer, typically...well, typical, piece by
                        David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley ever again. Ya, right.
                        Steve Pero has also written about his experience in Tennessee.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                          --- robert boeder <boedr@...> wrote:
                          > For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra
                          > list I've found two
                          > descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David
                          > Horton's web site,
                          > www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short,
                          > typically self-effacing article
                          > by Blake Wood, the other is a longer,
                          > typically...well, typical, piece by
                          > David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley
                          > ever again. Ya, right.
                          > Steve Pero has also written about his experience in
                          > Tennessee.

                          I have links to all of these plus photos and results
                          at http://mmahoney.teejay.net/barkley/

                          =====

                          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Rich Limacher
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 14, 2001
                            This, from her poem, just about says it all.

                            (And, notice, Chaennnon does in five lines what it took me
                            to do in about 5,000! :)

                            "Have you not heard the rumor?
                            So clean. So fine.
                            I AM BARKLEY!
                            THE BARKLEY!
                            I eat my young alive."

                            --Çhaennnon, Sacrificial Virgin, Barkley 2001

                            Well done, my courageous youthful fellow "lunch"! :-)
                            Very well done indeed!

                            And what a pleasure now finally to have made your
                            acquaintance!

                            Yours troubly,
                            Barkley scRitch