[hr100] Fwd: snow cover %

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2000
      Greg Loomis asked about Hardrock:

      "Just curious as to how much (in an average year) of the course is
      snowcovered? What kind of gaitors/socks/pants do people recommend? Very
      inexperianced yet curious guy hear."

      I'll take a shot at these questions:

      1. Hardrock Snow Cover: I think generally, maybe 1-4 miles at most are
      snow covered. The only long sections that might be snow covered are in
      American Basin, climbing up Virginius, high up in Wasatch Basin south of
      Telluride, and climbing up Grant-Swamp. These sections are highly variable
      and even now, it's not possible to estimate what we'll find for the 2000
      run. Numerous short snow fields exist at many places on the course. I
      suggest gettin up on the course the last two weeks and see what conditions
      are.

      2. Gaitors/socks/pants: I only tell you what I wear. I do not wear
      gaitors of any kind because I've not had rocks-in-shoe syndrome bad enough
      to motivate me to carry the extra weight on my feet. I wear a faily thick
      low cut wool sock that helps absorb small rocks and grit. I wear shorts
      for the entire run. In the clockwise direction, I have a pair of wind
      pants for the usual glissade down Virginius. For both directions, I carry
      a set of polypro pull-up tights to wear after sunset or if I get wet/cold
      from a stream fall or rain shower. The bad feature is that when I put
      these on, I've got to take off my shoes. Also, I wear a polypro pull-over
      top at night.

      I think most everyone has their own system and I'l like to hear more what
      others wear.

      Charlie Thorn