Re: [hr100] Barkley

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
      Jan,

      I've reconsidered my Hard policy of marking the maps with red. For a
      limited time only, I will mark a number of maps in pink and in lime (just
      for you). The down side is that the marked course you get will not be the
      course you want to follow.

      Charlie

      >Charlie,
      > If Bob(not an ultralist member) Boeder gets a map with pink markings can
      >I have one lime-yellow no scratch that, international orange. This is all
      >going in my report Bob!

    • Stevan Pattillo
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
        Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
        When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
        from that of others involved?
        Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
        Steve
      • Charles T. Thorn
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
          Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
          about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
          potties every mile.

          Charlie

          >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
          >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
          >from that of others involved?
          >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
          >Steve

        • dale garland
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
            Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP or the latest set of
            federal government budget worksheets (your choice) in every runners
            entry bag!
            The RD

            "Charles T. Thorn" wrote:

            > Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
            > about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
            > potties every mile.
            >
            > Charlie
            >
            > >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
            > >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
            > >from that of others involved?
            > >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
            > >Steve

          • Carl Jess
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
              --- dale garland <ddmb@...> wrote:
              > Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP
              > or the latest set of
              > federal government budget worksheets (your choice)
              > in every runners
              > entry bag!
              > The RD

              If you do make sure that the worksheets are printed on
              recycled paper. Maybe that will help the CEC accept
              HRH as an environmentally friendly race.

              =====
              Carl Jess
              Bloomfield, NM

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Charles T. Thorn
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
                Dale, etal,

                I just invented the perfect solution that technology can provide. It's a
                double outhouse in bunk style. I believe this solution will provide
                adequate throughput as well as economy of scale. Please arrange to put one
                every other mile beginning about mile 20.

                Thanks

                Charlie

                >Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP or the latest set of
                >federal government budget worksheets (your choice) in every runners
                >entry bag!
                >The RD
                >
                >"Charles T. Thorn" wrote:
                >>
                >> Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
                >> about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
                >> potties every mile.
                >>
                >> Charlie
                >>
                >> >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
                >> >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
                >> >from that of others involved?
                >> >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
                >> >Steve

              • LaForme
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
                  It must be the strong underlying primitive instincts of territorial marking
                  that cause so many otherwise seemingly "evolved" human males to be facinated
                  by scatology.
                  Ginny LaForme
                  Espanola,NM
                  rlaforme@...

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 12, 2001
                    Hey! Hey! Was that an insult? I think we men may not be as highly evolved
                    as she thinks.
                    Maybe "de-volved" is a better descriptor. I know that after about fifty
                    miles I feel like I'm mantally back with the flat worms..
                    Steve Pattillo
                  • GEH@crosslinkinc.com

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                        No, Steve,
                        It wasn't an insult, it was a compliment. I think its really important to
                        preserve our primitive instincts and channel them into useful activities,
                        such as course marking, or even book placement (in extreme cases). I just
                        had a sort of epiphany about where male persons find the drive to expend so
                        much energy doing these things.Territorial instincts are obviously still
                        strong and I'd much rather see them gratified in creative ways than in old
                        fashioned duking it out.
                        Ginny LaForme
                        Espanola,NM
                        rlaforme@...
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                          For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra list I've found two
                          descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David Horton's web site,
                          www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short, typically self-effacing article
                          by Blake Wood, the other is a longer, typically...well, typical, piece by
                          David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley ever again. Ya, right.
                          Steve Pero has also written about his experience in Tennessee.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                            --- robert boeder <boedr@...> wrote:
                            > For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra
                            > list I've found two
                            > descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David
                            > Horton's web site,
                            > www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short,
                            > typically self-effacing article
                            > by Blake Wood, the other is a longer,
                            > typically...well, typical, piece by
                            > David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley
                            > ever again. Ya, right.
                            > Steve Pero has also written about his experience in
                            > Tennessee.

                            I have links to all of these plus photos and results
                            at http://mmahoney.teejay.net/barkley/

                            =====

                            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                          • Rich Limacher
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 14, 2001
                              This, from her poem, just about says it all.

                              (And, notice, Chaennnon does in five lines what it took me
                              to do in about 5,000! :)

                              "Have you not heard the rumor?
                              So clean. So fine.
                              I AM BARKLEY!
                              THE BARKLEY!
                              I eat my young alive."

                              --Çhaennnon, Sacrificial Virgin, Barkley 2001

                              Well done, my courageous youthful fellow "lunch"! :-)
                              Very well done indeed!

                              And what a pleasure now finally to have made your
                              acquaintance!

                              Yours troubly,
                              Barkley scRitch