Re: [hr100] Barkley

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
      Bob and All,

      Thanks for your important suggestion about using pink. However, I believe
      that if anyone runs Hardrock enough times, they will eventually get sick.

      Seriously, the maps are already marked (in red) and we hope to send the
      runners manuals out about the end of April. I believe the Federal
      authorities are acting in good faith about our permit but we still do not
      have it because of the Colorado Environmental Coalition efforts. We have
      responded to the Feds who are reacting to the CEC so the process is moving.

      I'll do a snow report in a few days when I get the final numbers for April.
      However, San Juan snowpack is about normal for this time of year. Over the
      weekend, we had blowing snow in Silverton. Coal Bank Hill was snowpacked
      and slick. There were vehicles in snowbanks at all possible orientations.

      Charlie Thorn

      >I understand that some of our HRH champs did pretty well at Barkley this
      >year. At the risk of offending the list police, can Blake or David or Sue or
      >Johnny D give us a brief report on their exploits? Thanks, Bob (not an
      >ultralist member) Boeder. PS And Charlie, can you mark my course map in
      >pink? I'm sick of the same old black and blue.

    • Charles T. Thorn
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
        Jan,

        I've reconsidered my Hard policy of marking the maps with red. For a
        limited time only, I will mark a number of maps in pink and in lime (just
        for you). The down side is that the marked course you get will not be the
        course you want to follow.

        Charlie

        >Charlie,
        > If Bob(not an ultralist member) Boeder gets a map with pink markings can
        >I have one lime-yellow no scratch that, international orange. This is all
        >going in my report Bob!

      • Stevan Pattillo
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
          Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
          When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
          from that of others involved?
          Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
          Steve
        • Charles T. Thorn
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
            Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
            about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
            potties every mile.

            Charlie

            >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
            >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
            >from that of others involved?
            >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
            >Steve

          • dale garland
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 10, 2001
              Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP or the latest set of
              federal government budget worksheets (your choice) in every runners
              entry bag!
              The RD

              "Charles T. Thorn" wrote:

              > Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
              > about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
              > potties every mile.
              >
              > Charlie
              >
              > >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
              > >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
              > >from that of others involved?
              > >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
              > >Steve

            • Carl Jess
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
                --- dale garland <ddmb@...> wrote:
                > Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP
                > or the latest set of
                > federal government budget worksheets (your choice)
                > in every runners
                > entry bag!
                > The RD

                If you do make sure that the worksheets are printed on
                recycled paper. Maybe that will help the CEC accept
                HRH as an environmentally friendly race.

                =====
                Carl Jess
                Bloomfield, NM

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Charles T. Thorn
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
                  Dale, etal,

                  I just invented the perfect solution that technology can provide. It's a
                  double outhouse in bunk style. I believe this solution will provide
                  adequate throughput as well as economy of scale. Please arrange to put one
                  every other mile beginning about mile 20.

                  Thanks

                  Charlie

                  >Charlie, I would be willing to put in a roll of TP or the latest set of
                  >federal government budget worksheets (your choice) in every runners
                  >entry bag!
                  >The RD
                  >
                  >"Charles T. Thorn" wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Yes, this is an interesting analgy. Sorta like what I need to do after
                  >> about 20 miles into the Hardrock but the RD is too cheap to put out porta
                  >> potties every mile.
                  >>
                  >> Charlie
                  >>
                  >> >Charlie, "The process is moving," as in moving through a bowel-like body?
                  >> >When the final "output" emerges Will we be able to differentiate our input
                  >> >from that of others involved?
                  >> >Ah, government, or the big bowel as it is know around here.
                  >> >Steve

                • LaForme
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 11, 2001
                    It must be the strong underlying primitive instincts of territorial marking
                    that cause so many otherwise seemingly "evolved" human males to be facinated
                    by scatology.
                    Ginny LaForme
                    Espanola,NM
                    rlaforme@...

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 12, 2001
                      Hey! Hey! Was that an insult? I think we men may not be as highly evolved
                      as she thinks.
                      Maybe "de-volved" is a better descriptor. I know that after about fifty
                      miles I feel like I'm mantally back with the flat worms..
                      Steve Pattillo
                    • GEH@crosslinkinc.com

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                          No, Steve,
                          It wasn't an insult, it was a compliment. I think its really important to
                          preserve our primitive instincts and channel them into useful activities,
                          such as course marking, or even book placement (in extreme cases). I just
                          had a sort of epiphany about where male persons find the drive to expend so
                          much energy doing these things.Territorial instincts are obviously still
                          strong and I'd much rather see them gratified in creative ways than in old
                          fashioned duking it out.
                          Ginny LaForme
                          Espanola,NM
                          rlaforme@...
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                            For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra list I've found two
                            descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David Horton's web site,
                            www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short, typically self-effacing article
                            by Blake Wood, the other is a longer, typically...well, typical, piece by
                            David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley ever again. Ya, right.
                            Steve Pero has also written about his experience in Tennessee.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 13, 2001
                              --- robert boeder <boedr@...> wrote:
                              > For those of you who are not addicted to the ultra
                              > list I've found two
                              > descriptions of this year's Barkley event on David
                              > Horton's web site,
                              > www.extremeultrarunning.com. One is a short,
                              > typically self-effacing article
                              > by Blake Wood, the other is a longer,
                              > typically...well, typical, piece by
                              > David. Both have vowed never to enter the Barkley
                              > ever again. Ya, right.
                              > Steve Pero has also written about his experience in
                              > Tennessee.

                              I have links to all of these plus photos and results
                              at http://mmahoney.teejay.net/barkley/

                              =====

                              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                            • Rich Limacher
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 14, 2001
                                This, from her poem, just about says it all.

                                (And, notice, Chaennnon does in five lines what it took me
                                to do in about 5,000! :)

                                "Have you not heard the rumor?
                                So clean. So fine.
                                I AM BARKLEY!
                                THE BARKLEY!
                                I eat my young alive."

                                --Çhaennnon, Sacrificial Virgin, Barkley 2001

                                Well done, my courageous youthful fellow "lunch"! :-)
                                Very well done indeed!

                                And what a pleasure now finally to have made your
                                acquaintance!

                                Yours troubly,
                                Barkley scRitch