Re: [hr100] Digest Number 1295

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2012
      I think it might be helpful to remind folks who are interested in submitting artwork, that, as Blake mentions, it is required to do some work- designing the poster, meeting whatever requirements the print shop has, and either working with a local place and getting the posters shipped to Dale, or using a printer in Durango where likely Dale or someone can arrange for pickup. Plus signing and numbering each print.
      I'm no expert by any means, but I have done this a couple of times and am happy to help answer questions if I can about the process.
      Deb

      Sent from my iPad

      On Dec 19, 2012, at 4:41 PM, "Wood, Blake P" <bwood@...> wrote:

      > Brian -
      >
      > There is no particular requirement for photo formats. We only ask that it be of high enough resolution that it will make a good poster. If it is accepted, we'll ask you to design the poster, so if you want to submit several crops, that is fine. Jpeg works well, as it is easily viewed on every platform. It is probably best to keep what you send to 10MB or less.
      >
      > - Blake

    • Brian K.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
        Hi Deb and Blake.

        By "work designing the poster", can you elaborate on that?  Does that mean the race board has some guidelines/logos/phrases/etc that they want on the finishers poster, and thus they give that to the photo winner who will need to place them on the layout?  That makes sense and can be fun - plus my wife's career is in print graphic design (of course, I still need to be chosen...)

        It sounds like we could work with our own print shop if needed, or do the race directors have a specific one in mind?  Also, do the race directors provide budget funds for printing? Or does the photo winner need to foot that bill?

        Signing and numbering makes sense, and is a nice personal touch.  I think I remember seeing past winners prints that were framed - is designing a frame a requirement as well, and are there funds for that too?  Or does everyone just get their own print and frame it if they wish on their own?

        Thanks so much for your help and time. Cheers!

        -B-

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
          HI Brian,
          As far as the poster goes. I am happy to work with you on the design,
          layout etc. Hardrock doesn't have any specific logos or styles that need to be
          incorporated. The only things that need to be on the poster are:
          The words "Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run", a line for the finishers name and
          their time, and the year (which can be incorporated into the Hardrock text or
          not). If you have a printer that you like to work with then we are happy to
          work with them on payment. If you don't, we have a print shop in Durango,
          where I live, that is quite familiar with what we do and has printed many of
          the Hardrock posters.
          The other places where the print will be seen are:
          1. Sponsor/organizational entities thank you (8.5 x 11)
          2. "Welcome Runners posters (placed in public spaces and shops (11 x 17)
          3. Individual certificates for each finisher (8.5 x 11)
          Each of these requires a bit of tweaking on layout, which again I am
          happy to help with.
          Hope this helps,
          Dale Garland
          RD, HRH