[hr100] snow cover %

  • Greg Loomis
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2000
      Hello!!

      Just curious as to how much (in an average year) of the course is
      snowcovered? What kind of gaitors/socks/pants do people recommend?
      Very inexperianced yet curious guy hear.

      Greg Loomis
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2000
        It can get very cold at Hardrock, in the 20's. Last
        year I had on my long pants, polypro shirt, jacket,
        knit hat and gloves around 4AM at Grouse Gulch. 10
        hours later at Pole Creek it was in the 80's and I had
        my shirt off. I don't see any practical way to put
        clothes in drop bags because of the extreme
        temperature changes between aid stations, so last year
        I just carried all my clothes and used no drop bags
        (or crew).

        I wore Montrail Vitesse for shoes without socks, but I
        found that it took about 3 hours for them to dry out,
        even having to lie on my back to drain them after
        water crossings. Since there is so much water, my
        feet were constantly wet for almost the whole 42
        hours. This year I am considering wearing XC racing
        flats (Asics) and no socks just because they are light
        and comfortable and might not hold as much water. I
        have already worn them at the Ancient Oaks 100 with no
        problems and will test them again at Barkley.

        If the current trend continues there may not be any
        snow on the course this year, but that also means
        fewer places to refill your water bottles.

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com