Re: [hr100] Re: Front-loaded walking for an Ultra

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2001
      --- "Charles T. Thorn" <thorn@...> wrote:
      > Hans-Deiter wrote (below) that the best strategy is
      > to maintain equal
      > splits. Blake Wood has done an analysis of Hardrock
      > finishers comparing
      > their finish times with their ratio of first half to
      > second half Hardrock
      > times. There seems to be essentially NO correlation
      > between even splits
      > and finish time. Note that this is quite different
      > from the likelihood of
      > finishing Hardrock for some initial pace. The only
      > claim is that IF you
      > finish Hardrock, your finish time does NOT seem to
      > depend on how fast or
      > slowly you went out.

      You can see the results at
      http://www.run100s.com/HR/hrh99statsm.gif
      These were for 1999 in the clockwise direction, the
      same way we will be running this year.

      Everyone ran the second half slower. Of course this
      can be explained because the first half (to Ouray) is
      downhill. (Well, there were 4 small hills). Also,
      this was done almost all in daylight.

      Notice that for the top times (30-32 hours) that the
      splits are more even. In particular, the fastest
      (Blake) is also the most even.

      =====

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Charles T. Thorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2001
        Matt is correct that ALL finishers completed the second half slower than
        the first half. However, I really don't think we should dignify the very
        short minimal grade rises in the first half as "4 small hills."

        Charlie Thorn