RE: [hr100] Hardrock Maps

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
      Hello Deb and others,

      I may have sent an unintended message that there were not going to be
      enough maps for everyone, or we have some other reluctance to provide
      marked maps, or else you had to specifically request a map to get one.
      That is not the case. Last year, a FEW runners told me that they already
      knew the course and/or had enough Hardrock maps so that it would be ok for
      them to not get a marked map or any map. I'm just trying to remember who
      told me.

      So, as in previous years, you will get a marked map unless you specifically
      tell me that you do not want to get one. We have plenty of maps and plenty
      will be marked. We plan to mail out the runners manual with marked map in
      mid April.

      By the way, Bill Drake reprinted the map last year and has made many
      corrections that really improve the quality of the sections that the
      Hardrock runs over.

      I hope to see everyone up in the Mountains in July, map in hand.

      Charlie Thorn

      PS, Tyler Curiel has asked me to mark all finishers' mandatory victory lap
      in the CORRECT direction on the map this year. After a few, mostly very
      minor details are worked out, I hope to be able to mark this important
      feature of the Hardrock in an acceptible way.

    • GRoachHigh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
        Hi Charlie

        I am getting this email a little late but thought I might as well reply.
        anyway. Yes, i would want a marked map. I carried one in a Baggie 101 miles
        last year and never referred to it but i do think it is a good idea,
        nonetheless.

        I would have replied sooner but Gerry

        and I just returned from an 11-day desert peak climbing trip in Southern
        Calif and one in Mexico. it was not exactly HR100 training but a passion for
        us that we share. You should try it sometime!

        Thanks.

        Jennifer Roach
      • Charles T. Thorn
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
          Jennifer

          Thanks for the note. Your trip to the desert sounds like fun. I
          personally love the desert, having spend most of my backpacking youth in
          the hot country, particularly 13 months in the Grand Canyon in summer. The
          mountains are grand but the desert is sublime.

          You will get a map, don't worry. The only way you would not get one would
          be to make that request.

          I'm going up to Silverton in about 10 days to check out the snow and hills.
          I'll see you in the hills in July.

          Charlie