Wildfire effect on HR?

  • McNeill, Brian
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
      I'm about to get on the plane in 30 hours. Before I do so, what's the likelihood that the race might be canceled if conditions hold steady?

      I know the a past Board took the prudent step not to over-burden public safety, BLM, state officials, and fellow Coloradans and canceled the race when CO had wildfires. Any significant chance of that with the information the Board has now?

      I realize that if conditions change, the board can and should make a decision based on new information.

      Thx

      Brian McNeill
    • Mark Oveson (Gmail)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
        Brian,

        You should probably stay home, just in case. :)

        Thanks,

        Mark Oveson
        (#2 on waitlist)

        Yes, I am kidding.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
          Brian and all the Hardrockers,
          At this time there is not a plan to cancel Hardrock for 2012. As Brian
          correctly states the Hardrock Run management and it's board of directors do
          reserve the right to cancel the run if we feel it is in the best interest of
          the communities, fire personnel and/or runners. As you might all surmise, the
          fire season in Colorado is at an extreme level and we cannot guarantee that
          conditions may not change between now and the 13th.

          From the Hardrock Hundred Value Statements:
          "The Land The Hardrock Hundred appreciates the beauty and
          vulnerability of the lands that are the basis of our event. We strive to use
          utmost consideration and respect for these lands in the planning and
          implementation of our event. We are committed to maintaining open and positive
          communication with the stewards of the natural resources that we utilize."
          In the meantime... if you all would send a little precipitation our way
          we sure would appreciate it!!
          Dale Garland
          RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance run

          On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:47:39 -0400
          "McNeill, Brian" <BMCNEILL@...> wrote:
          > I'm about to get on the plane in 30 hours. Before I do so, what's the
          >likelihood that the race might be canceled if conditions hold steady?
          >
          > I know the a past Board took the prudent step not to over-burden public
          >safety, BLM, state officials, and fellow Coloradans and canceled the race
          >when CO had wildfires. Any significant chance of that with the information
          >the Board has now?
          >
          > I realize that if conditions change, the board can and should make a
          >decision based on new information.
          >
          > Thx
          >
          > Brian McNeill
        • McNeill, Brian
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
            Doing a rain dance and prayers for the folks in Co Springs

            At this time there is not a plan to cancel Hardrock for 2012. As Brian
            correctly states the Hardrock Run management and it's board of directors do
            reserve the right to cancel the run if we feel it is in the best interest of
            the communities, fire personnel and/or runners. As you might all surmise, the
            fire season in Colorado is at an extreme level and we cannot guarantee that
            conditions may not change between now and the 13th.

            From the Hardrock Hundred Value Statements:
            "The Land The Hardrock Hundred appreciates the beauty and
            vulnerability of the lands that are the basis of our event. We strive to use
            utmost consideration and respect for these lands in the planning and
            implementation of our event. We are committed to maintaining open and positive
            communication with the stewards of the natural resources that we utilize."
            In the meantime... if you all would send a little precipitation our way
            we sure would appreciate it!!
            Dale Garland
            RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance run

            On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:47:39 -0400
            "McNeill, Brian" <BMCNEILL@...> wrote:
            > I'm about to get on the plane in 30 hours. Before I do so, what's the
            >likelihood that the race might be canceled if conditions hold steady?
            >
            > I know the a past Board took the prudent step not to over-burden public
            >safety, BLM, state officials, and fellow Coloradans and canceled the race
            >when CO had wildfires. Any significant chance of that with the information
            >the Board has now?
            >
            > I realize that if conditions change, the board can and should make a
            >decision based on new information.
            >
            > Thx
            >
            > Brian McNeill
          • Chris Twiggs
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
              Speaking as a Floridian, we have WAY too much rain right now. If y'all can tote it, y'all can keep it.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 27, 2012, at 6:03 PM, "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@...> wrote:

              > Brian and all the Hardrockers,
              > At this time there is not a plan to cancel Hardrock for 2012. As Brian
              > correctly states the Hardrock Run management and it's board of directors do
              > reserve the right to cancel the run if we feel it is in the best interest of
              > the communities, fire personnel and/or runners. As you might all surmise, the
              > fire season in Colorado is at an extreme level and we cannot guarantee that
              > conditions may not change between now and the 13th.
              >
              > From the Hardrock Hundred Value Statements:
              > "The Land The Hardrock Hundred appreciates the beauty and
              > vulnerability of the lands that are the basis of our event. We strive to use
              > utmost consideration and respect for these lands in the planning and
              > implementation of our event. We are committed to maintaining open and positive
              > communication with the stewards of the natural resources that we utilize."
              > In the meantime... if you all would send a little precipitation our way
              > we sure would appreciate it!!
              > Dale Garland
              > RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance run
              >
              > On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:47:39 -0400
              > "McNeill, Brian" <BMCNEILL@...> wrote:
              > > I'm about to get on the plane in 30 hours. Before I do so, what's the
              > >likelihood that the race might be canceled if conditions hold steady?
              > >
              > > I know the a past Board took the prudent step not to over-burden public
              > >safety, BLM, state officials, and fellow Coloradans and canceled the race
              > >when CO had wildfires. Any significant chance of that with the information
              > >the Board has now?
              > >
              > > I realize that if conditions change, the board can and should make a
              > >decision based on new information.
              > >
              > > Thx
              > >
              > > Brian McNeill

            • Steve Pero
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28, 2012
                What we need now is the monsoon season to begin. The weather forecast last
                night (for northern NM) said we're about a week away from that to begin. As
                I drive home to the northern mountains from ABQ every evening, I see the
                beginnings of clouds forming, which is the first sign. The problem with
                that also is that along with the monsoons is lightening, which precedes the
                rain. A new fire popped up just NW of Durango, so anything can happen
                between now and the 13th. Pray for the rains to begin! One year ago we
                almost lost our home to a 150,000+ acre fire in New Mexico (that was
                contained one mile from our deck), we hope this does't happen again while
                we're away.

                Deb and I are driving up tomorrow evening to begin the course marking and
                will be staying at Little Molas cg over the weekend. We'll return home for
                a couple of days, then will be moving into the Avon through race weekend :-)
                Last Saturday we ran the SJS50 in Lake City in the northern San Juans and
                it was smoky and hot, a taste of what we're going to probabaly have during
                Hardrock. Here are some photos I took during the race, which shows the
                smoky air. http://perogoats.blogspot.com/

                See you all soon!
                Steve

                > On Jun 27, 2012, at 6:03 PM, "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Brian and all the Hardrockers,
                > > At this time there is not a plan to cancel Hardrock for 2012. As Brian
                > > correctly states the Hardrock Run management and it's board of directors
                > do
                > > reserve the right to cancel the run if we feel it is in the best
                > interest of
                > > the communities, fire personnel and/or runners. As you might all
                > surmise, the
                > > fire season in Colorado is at an extreme level and we cannot guarantee
                > that
                > > conditions may not change between now and the 13th.
                > >
                > > From the Hardrock Hundred Value Statements:
                > > "The Land The Hardrock Hundred appreciates the beauty and
                > > vulnerability of the lands that are the basis of our event. We strive to
                > use
                > > utmost consideration and respect for these lands in the planning and
                > > implementation of our event. We are committed to maintaining open and
                > positive
                > > communication with the stewards of the natural resources that we
                > utilize."
                > > In the meantime... if you all would send a little precipitation our way
                > > we sure would appreciate it!!
                > > Dale Garland
                > > RD, Hardrock Hundred Endurance run
                > >
                > > On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:47:39 -0400
                > > "McNeill, Brian" <BMCNEILL@...> wrote:
                > > > I'm about to get on the plane in 30 hours. Before I do so, what's the
                > > >likelihood that the race might be canceled if conditions hold steady?
                > > >
                > > > I know the a past Board took the prudent step not to over-burden
                > public
                > > >safety, BLM, state officials, and fellow Coloradans and canceled the
                > race
                > > >when CO had wildfires. Any significant chance of that with the
                > information
                > > >the Board has now?
                > > >
                > > > I realize that if conditions change, the board can and should make a
                > > >decision based on new information.
                > > >
                > > > Thx
                > > >
                > > > Brian McNeill

              • John Constan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 28, 2012
                  Start the rain dance party. Last week I was running the course around Ice Lake and saw the smoke from the fires move in quick.

                  Sent from my iPad

                • Carolyn Erdman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 28, 2012
                    It has been raining here the last three days which we need.
                    CErdman