Re: [hr100] Hardrock Maps

  • Jeff Collins
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2001
      Charlie,

      I am interested in receiving a marked-up map.
      Wish I could help you - it must be a very time
      consuming effort - wish we all appreciate.

      If there is something I can do to help - long
      distance from California - let me know.

      Thanks,
      Jeff Collins

      --- "Charles T. Thorn" <thorn@...> wrote:
      > Hello All,
      >
      > I'm currently marking the 2001 Hardrock course
      > maps. Last year some folks
      > said they didn't want a marked map. So, let me
      > know if you do not want and
      > marked map but would prefer to get a clean map
      > or no map at all.
      >
      > Thanks much,
      >
      > Charlie Thorn

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Charles T. Thorn
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
        Jeff,

        Thanks for the offer, but I don't think there is anything to be done long
        distance. Hardrock stuff is moving along well. I've got most of the maps
        marked and will have the runners manual in shape for mailout in mid April.
        And, it's been snowing in the high country.

        I'll see you up there this summer.

        Charlie

      • GEH@crosslinkinc.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
          I do not need a map.

          Gordon

        • reno_debra@emc.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
            Hi Charlie,
            I would definitely appreciate a marked map if possible, Thanks,
            deb reno

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
              Hello Deb and others,

              I may have sent an unintended message that there were not going to be
              enough maps for everyone, or we have some other reluctance to provide
              marked maps, or else you had to specifically request a map to get one.
              That is not the case. Last year, a FEW runners told me that they already
              knew the course and/or had enough Hardrock maps so that it would be ok for
              them to not get a marked map or any map. I'm just trying to remember who
              told me.

              So, as in previous years, you will get a marked map unless you specifically
              tell me that you do not want to get one. We have plenty of maps and plenty
              will be marked. We plan to mail out the runners manual with marked map in
              mid April.

              By the way, Bill Drake reprinted the map last year and has made many
              corrections that really improve the quality of the sections that the
              Hardrock runs over.

              I hope to see everyone up in the Mountains in July, map in hand.

              Charlie Thorn

              PS, Tyler Curiel has asked me to mark all finishers' mandatory victory lap
              in the CORRECT direction on the map this year. After a few, mostly very
              minor details are worked out, I hope to be able to mark this important
              feature of the Hardrock in an acceptible way.

            • GRoachHigh@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
                Hi Charlie

                I am getting this email a little late but thought I might as well reply.
                anyway. Yes, i would want a marked map. I carried one in a Baggie 101 miles
                last year and never referred to it but i do think it is a good idea,
                nonetheless.

                I would have replied sooner but Gerry

                and I just returned from an 11-day desert peak climbing trip in Southern
                Calif and one in Mexico. it was not exactly HR100 training but a passion for
                us that we share. You should try it sometime!

                Thanks.

                Jennifer Roach
              • Charles T. Thorn
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
                  Jennifer

                  Thanks for the note. Your trip to the desert sounds like fun. I
                  personally love the desert, having spend most of my backpacking youth in
                  the hot country, particularly 13 months in the Grand Canyon in summer. The
                  mountains are grand but the desert is sublime.

                  You will get a map, don't worry. The only way you would not get one would
                  be to make that request.

                  I'm going up to Silverton in about 10 days to check out the snow and hills.
                  I'll see you in the hills in July.

                  Charlie