RE: [hr100] Hardrock Maps

  • Curiel, Tyler
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001
      Charlie, Please also be sure to mark the course around the gym for those
      that may be doing an extra loop after the awards ceremony. By the way, is
      the gym loop in the same direction as the race? /Tyler Curiel
    • Jeff Collins
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 17, 2001
        Charlie,

        I am interested in receiving a marked-up map.
        Wish I could help you - it must be a very time
        consuming effort - wish we all appreciate.

        If there is something I can do to help - long
        distance from California - let me know.

        Thanks,
        Jeff Collins

        --- "Charles T. Thorn" <thorn@...> wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > I'm currently marking the 2001 Hardrock course
        > maps. Last year some folks
        > said they didn't want a marked map. So, let me
        > know if you do not want and
        > marked map but would prefer to get a clean map
        > or no map at all.
        >
        > Thanks much,
        >
        > Charlie Thorn

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Charles T. Thorn
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
          Jeff,

          Thanks for the offer, but I don't think there is anything to be done long
          distance. Hardrock stuff is moving along well. I've got most of the maps
          marked and will have the runners manual in shape for mailout in mid April.
          And, it's been snowing in the high country.

          I'll see you up there this summer.

          Charlie

        • GEH@crosslinkinc.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
            I do not need a map.

            Gordon

          • reno_debra@emc.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
              Hi Charlie,
              I would definitely appreciate a marked map if possible, Thanks,
              deb reno

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 19, 2001
                Hello Deb and others,

                I may have sent an unintended message that there were not going to be
                enough maps for everyone, or we have some other reluctance to provide
                marked maps, or else you had to specifically request a map to get one.
                That is not the case. Last year, a FEW runners told me that they already
                knew the course and/or had enough Hardrock maps so that it would be ok for
                them to not get a marked map or any map. I'm just trying to remember who
                told me.

                So, as in previous years, you will get a marked map unless you specifically
                tell me that you do not want to get one. We have plenty of maps and plenty
                will be marked. We plan to mail out the runners manual with marked map in
                mid April.

                By the way, Bill Drake reprinted the map last year and has made many
                corrections that really improve the quality of the sections that the
                Hardrock runs over.

                I hope to see everyone up in the Mountains in July, map in hand.

                Charlie Thorn

                PS, Tyler Curiel has asked me to mark all finishers' mandatory victory lap
                in the CORRECT direction on the map this year. After a few, mostly very
                minor details are worked out, I hope to be able to mark this important
                feature of the Hardrock in an acceptible way.

              • GRoachHigh@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
                  Hi Charlie

                  I am getting this email a little late but thought I might as well reply.
                  anyway. Yes, i would want a marked map. I carried one in a Baggie 101 miles
                  last year and never referred to it but i do think it is a good idea,
                  nonetheless.

                  I would have replied sooner but Gerry

                  and I just returned from an 11-day desert peak climbing trip in Southern
                  Calif and one in Mexico. it was not exactly HR100 training but a passion for
                  us that we share. You should try it sometime!

                  Thanks.

                  Jennifer Roach
                • Charles T. Thorn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
                    Jennifer

                    Thanks for the note. Your trip to the desert sounds like fun. I
                    personally love the desert, having spend most of my backpacking youth in
                    the hot country, particularly 13 months in the Grand Canyon in summer. The
                    mountains are grand but the desert is sublime.

                    You will get a map, don't worry. The only way you would not get one would
                    be to make that request.

                    I'm going up to Silverton in about 10 days to check out the snow and hills.
                    I'll see you in the hills in July.

                    Charlie