Re: [hr100] Camping, Dogs???

  • GEH@crosslinkinc.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16 10:37 AM
      Another free camping area that is pretty popular over on the Ouray side is from about 1-4 miles up the Camp Bird road. No toilets, though. There is also limited camping at Sherman, if you have 4wd and don't mind Cinnamon Pass. Sherman has a pit toilet, and the water is pretty good if you filter it. From Sherman you have some really terrific options for runs on that side of the hills. If you are in the Lake City area, we stay at the Highlander RV Park, just across from where the Lake Fork exits Lake San Cristobal, for about 2 weeks prior to HR. Look us up...

      Gordon Hardman

      Carl & Sally Yates wrote:

      We camp there every year with our 2 dogs. Never saw Jim Fisher there. Does
      that mean its cheap? Sure is if you have a golden age card. Jim Ballard and
      Kathy Lang are always there and a few others. Can't get much closer to Kamm
      AS except a few free backcountry spots before and after Kamm. Don't try to
      come in on a weekend.
      For those interested, the knee is doing pretty well. I won't be limping like
      last year and hoping to run again in 2002. Carl
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16 7:01 PM
        Mike:

        In my book, the climbing trip to Alaska would be worth doing rather than
        what, your third or forth time at Hardrock? If my climbing skills were not
        just above novice, and I was not in summer school at William Mitchell, I
        would want to join you. As it is, I will settle for a few snow climbs in
        Colorado in May and then try my hand at Nolan's in August.

        Take care and please report back to me the specifics of your Alaska trip. I
        want to go there someday. Thank you.

        Mitch Rossman
        Mendota Heights, MN