A note on the 2012 Hardrock course

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15 3:05 PM
      Hi All,
      Over the weekend I have fielded questions regarding the status of the
      Bear Creek (Telluride) portion of the Hardrock course. I'd like to let you
      know where we stand relative to the the recent events regarding Gold Hill
      Development and it's holdings in Bear Creek.
      For those who need an update from last year, the San Miguel County
      Commissioners have issued a letter to the Gold Hill Development Company to
      "immediately cease all efforts to prohibit public use of the Wasatch and East
      Fork Trails and remove all obstructions and “No Trespassing” signs".
      This
      request is based upon the discovery of some evidence from meetings held in
      1879 guaranteeing public access in the area.
      Armed with this article (link provided below) I contacted the permit
      administrator for holding the Hardrock Hundred asking for clarification and a
      status update. Given the fact that this letter and the actions of the San
      Miguel County Commissioners will more than likely be legally challenged by
      GHDC, Hardrock's permit for 2012 will be for the course as it was run in 2011.
      This means that we will be using the route through Bridal Veil Basin instead
      of Bear Creek or LaJunta Basins.
      If this matter resolves itself prior to the beginning of course marking
      then we will consult with our permit administrator about the possibility of
      returning to Bear Creek in time for the 2012 run.
      In the spirit of full disclosure, it should be noted that prior to the
      legal issues between GHDC and Telluride Ski, San Miguel County etc., GHDC had
      allowed Hardrock full access to their property at no cost to Hardrock.
      If things change or if more information becomes available we will let
      you know.
      Read more: Watch Newspapers - Moldy Paper Trail Leads to Public Right of Way
      in Bear Creek
      http://www.watchnewspapers.com/view/full_story/18198569/article-Moldy-Paper-Trail-Leads-to-Public-Right-of-Way-in-Bear-Creek?instance=home_news_bullets