Re: [hr100] Update re Wasatch Trail in Bear Creek Telluride

  • Dick Curtis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
      KEN, THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORTS. I DO NOT HAVE ANY PHOTOS,
      HOWEVER I HAVE SPOKEN WITH A FRIEND THAT IS WITH THE BLM
      OUT OF DENVER AND IS FAMILIAR WITH THIS CLOSURE.

      HIS RESEARCH INDICATED THAT THE WASATCH
      TRAIL IS AN OLD ROAD EASEMENT ( NOT SURE OF THE DATES)
      AND IT IS QUESTIONABLE IF CLOSURE IS LEGAL?

      IF THIS INFO IS HELPFUL OR YOU NEED ADDITIONAL INFO, I
      COULD GET HIS CONTACT INFO TO YOU.

      BEST WISHES, DICK CURTIS ( HR100 RUNNER)
      rac2490@gmail,com

      On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Kenneth Capps <
      forest_service_lawyer@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello everyone:
      >
      > I�m following up on a post from April of 2010 regarding the Gold Hill
      > Development Company�s closure of the Wasatch and East Fork trails that have
      > been part of the course of the HRH except for last year when the GHDC
      > refused access.
      >
      > I am a lawyer for the Forest Service. We are evaluating a lawsuit to
      > reopen the trails and we need photos of FS trail signs over the years. We
      > are focused on the period from 1990 through 2010 but would be happy to get
      > earlier photos as well. I�ve been working with the Board through Rick
      > Trujillo but, time is getting short, so I thought I�d reach out to this
      > yahoogroup and see if any of you can help us out. So far, we have only one
      > historic photo of a trail sign. There have been signs at the Wasatch
      > saddle, the upper and lower intersections of Wasatch Trail and East Fork
      > trail, the intersection of Wasatch Trail and the Wasatch Connection, and
      > where the Wasatch trail intersects the Bear Creek road. It seems to be a
      > common human trait to take photos at trail signs. So, I�m sure some of you
      > have taken such photos or know someone who did.
      >
      > Please contact me if you think you have helpful information or photos.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Ken.

    • Kenneth Capps
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2012
        Thanks Dick.

        I would be glad to talk to him.  I assume that he means the trail would qualify as an RS 2477 road under the 1866 mining law.  We are pursuing that theory as well as a prescription or adverse possession in favor of the public theory.

        Ken.