"Camping" before Hardrock

  • Bloom, Jerry S
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2011
      For Hardrock this year, Kathy and I are looking to rent an RV, bring the dogs and come out a bit early to soak up the lack of O2.

      I figure the last couple days we will rent an RV spot in town but before that was hoping to camp somewhere remote and high. I'm not sure how much "off roading" a guy can do in a rented 24-30' behemoth but something in the middle of nowhere would be pretty loverly.

      I figure there has to be a bunch of Hardorckers who have done the same thing in years past and I am hoping that one or two of them are on this list. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Jerry

    • Bruce Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2011
        Jerry - your best best would be one of the Molas Lake campgrounds located
        south of Silverton. They are at 11000', prime territory for acclimatising.

        There is a private campground with some facilities on the east side of the
        highway. You can reserve here, which may be a consideration if you are
        staying through the July 4 weekend. You can probably get sites with
        power/hook-ups for an RV, if that is important to you.
        http://www.molaslake.com/

        On the west side of the highway, there is a turnoff about a mile or so
        further south of the private campground that will head up to Little Molas
        Lake, where there is a public free campground in the National Forest land.
        A number of Hardrockers will camp up here in the week(s) prior to the race,
        and if you get there early before the July 4 crowd and scope out a large
        site that you are willing to share with fellow runners in tents, you'll be
        some kind of hero (I recommend the first spot on the left as you get in
        there!). There are no facilities except an outhouse, and water is from a
        creek. It is pretty sweet up there.
        http://g.co/maps/czdm2

        There is also a state campground at the end of Mineral Creek, it is a fee
        area as well and I'm not sure if it has hook-ups for RV's. It is also
        relatively lower elevation, being not much higher than Silverton's altitude.

        Hope that helps! Others may have suggestions for something a bit more
        remote in different areas.

        Bruce

        On 19 December 2011 10:38, Bloom, Jerry S <jerry.bloom@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > For Hardrock this year, Kathy and I are looking to rent an RV, bring the
        > dogs and come out a bit early to soak up the lack of O2.
        >
        > I figure the last couple days we will rent an RV spot in town but before
        > that was hoping to camp somewhere remote and high. I'm not sure how much
        > "off roading" a guy can do in a rented 24-30' behemoth but something in the
        > middle of nowhere would be pretty loverly.
        >
        > I figure there has to be a bunch of Hardorckers who have done the same
        > thing in years past and I am hoping that one or two of them are on this
        > list. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Jerry

      • Jean-Jacques d
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2011
          Neither Little Molas nor Mineral creek (1st camp ground on left and free) have hookups.  The large Mineral Creek campground at the end of the road is a fee area and gets very crowded early and stays that way through most of the summer.  It may or may not have some hookups.
          If you are planning to stay at an in-town RV park during race days you had better make reservations there right now.  It may even be too late as the week before and after the 4th of July overflows with RVs and many people make reservations a year in advance.

          Other than that, Bruce is "spot-on" as the Brits say.
          ~Jean-Jacques

          ________________________________
          Jerry - your best best would be one of the Molas Lake campgrounds located
          south of Silverton. They are at 11000', prime territory for acclimatising.

          There is a private campground with some facilities on the east side of the
          highway. You can reserve here, which may be a consideration if you are
          staying through the July 4 weekend. You can probably get sites with
          power/hook-ups for an RV, if that is important to you.
          http://www.molaslake.com/

          On the west side of the highway, there is a turnoff about a mile or so
          further south of the private campground that will head up to Little Molas
          Lake, where there is a public free campground in the National Forest land.
          A number of Hardrockers will camp up here in the week(s) prior to the race,
          and if you get there early before the July 4 crowd and scope out a large
          site that you are willing to share with fellow runners in tents, you'll be
          some kind of hero (I recommend the first spot on the left as you get in
          there!). There are no facilities except an outhouse, and water is from a
          creek. It is pretty sweet up there.
          http://g.co/maps/czdm2

          There is also a state campground at the end of Mineral Creek, it is a fee
          area as well and I'm not sure if it has hook-ups for RV's. It is also
          relatively lower elevation, being not much higher than Silverton's altitude.

          Hope that helps! Others may have suggestions for something a bit more
          remote in different areas.

          Bruce

          On 19 December 2011 10:38, Bloom, Jerry S <jerry.bloom@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > For Hardrock this year, Kathy and I are looking to rent an RV, bring the
          > dogs and come out a bit early to soak up the lack of O2.
          >
          > I figure the last couple days we will rent an RV spot in town but before
          > that was hoping to camp somewhere remote and high. I'm not sure how much
          > "off roading" a guy can do in a rented 24-30' behemoth but something in the
          > middle of nowhere would be pretty loverly.
          >
          > I figure there has to be a bunch of Hardorckers who have done the same
          > thing in years past and I am hoping that one or two of them are on this
          > list. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Jerry

        • Deb
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2011
            Jerry try little molas off 550 above town- also just beyond silverton towards howardsville there are lots of spots to pull in. The road to mineral creek campground has several free spots also- by the river and very nice

            Sent from my iPod