Stop me before I Hardrock again!

  • Mike Farris
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
      Hardrockers,

      I have a curious request. I'm scheduled to run this year, but what
      I'd really like to do is a May/June climbing trip to Alaska. If you
      know of anyone looking for team members for such a trip, let me know
      off-list. Those who are high on the waiting list have the most
      incentive to help :)

      Thanks,
      Mike
      Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
      Associate Professor of Biology Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
      http://www.hamline.edu/depts/biology/mfarris
    • carolyn erdman
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
        So who is the runner crossing the Uncompadre River in the HRH shot in the
        spring Patagonia catalog?
        Carolyn
      • Stevan Pattillo
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
          Re the U-river crossing. If the picture was taken in daylight it sure
          wasn't me.
          Steve
        • Stevan Pattillo
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
            Are you referring to South Mineral? If so, Jim Fisher stays there. Which
            may say something.
            Steve Pattillo
          • Carl & Sally Yates
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
              We camp there every year with our 2 dogs. Never saw Jim Fisher there. Does
              that mean its cheap? Sure is if you have a golden age card. Jim Ballard and
              Kathy Lang are always there and a few others. Can't get much closer to Kamm
              AS except a few free backcountry spots before and after Kamm. Don't try to
              come in on a weekend.
              For those interested, the knee is doing pretty well. I won't be limping like
              last year and hoping to run again in 2002. Carl

                >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                >dog near Silverton?  I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
                >
                >Missy
                >
                >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                >> Animas river.  There are pit toilets at both sites.

              • Mitchell Rossman
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                  Mike:

                  In my book, the climbing trip to Alaska would be worth doing rather than
                  what, your third or forth time at Hardrock? If my climbing skills were not
                  just above novice, and I was not in summer school at William Mitchell, I
                  would want to join you. As it is, I will settle for a few snow climbs in
                  Colorado in May and then try my hand at Nolan's in August.

                  Take care and please report back to me the specifics of your Alaska trip. I
                  want to go there someday. Thank you.

                  Mitch Rossman
                  Mendota Heights, MN