Camping, Dogs???

  • mntnmiss@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
      Hey there,

      Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
      If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
      dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
      a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
      hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
      where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .

      Missy

      > of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
      > 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
      > Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.
    • carolyn erdman
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
        If you have any questions I would ask Connie Teague at the Chamber of
        COmmerce or Kelly Mitchell who is the Recreation director in town.

        At 01:38 PM 3/16/01 -0000, you wrote:

        >Hey there,
        >
        >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
        >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
        >dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
        >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
        >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
        >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
        >
        >Missy
        >
        >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
        >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
        >> Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.

      • Mike Farris
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
          Hardrockers,

          I have a curious request. I'm scheduled to run this year, but what
          I'd really like to do is a May/June climbing trip to Alaska. If you
          know of anyone looking for team members for such a trip, let me know
          off-list. Those who are high on the waiting list have the most
          incentive to help :)

          Thanks,
          Mike
          Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
          Associate Professor of Biology Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
          http://www.hamline.edu/depts/biology/mfarris
        • carolyn erdman
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
            So who is the runner crossing the Uncompadre River in the HRH shot in the
            spring Patagonia catalog?
            Carolyn
          • Stevan Pattillo
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
              Re the U-river crossing. If the picture was taken in daylight it sure
              wasn't me.
              Steve
            • Stevan Pattillo
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                Are you referring to South Mineral? If so, Jim Fisher stays there. Which
                may say something.
                Steve Pattillo
              • Carl & Sally Yates
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                  We camp there every year with our 2 dogs. Never saw Jim Fisher there. Does
                  that mean its cheap? Sure is if you have a golden age card. Jim Ballard and
                  Kathy Lang are always there and a few others. Can't get much closer to Kamm
                  AS except a few free backcountry spots before and after Kamm. Don't try to
                  come in on a weekend.
                  For those interested, the knee is doing pretty well. I won't be limping like
                  last year and hoping to run again in 2002. Carl

                • GEH@crosslinkinc.com

                    >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                    >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                    >dog near Silverton?  I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                    >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                    >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                    >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
                    >
                    >Missy
                    >
                    >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                    >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                    >> Animas river.  There are pit toilets at both sites.

                  • Mitchell Rossman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                      Mike:

                      In my book, the climbing trip to Alaska would be worth doing rather than
                      what, your third or forth time at Hardrock? If my climbing skills were not
                      just above novice, and I was not in summer school at William Mitchell, I
                      would want to join you. As it is, I will settle for a few snow climbs in
                      Colorado in May and then try my hand at Nolan's in August.

                      Take care and please report back to me the specifics of your Alaska trip. I
                      want to go there someday. Thank you.

                      Mitch Rossman
                      Mendota Heights, MN