Re: [hr100] Motels During the Race

  • Joe Prusatis
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
      Actually... there is MORE to this story. And a very possesive Marten
      does think he owns the place. We got to be good friends after a few
      nights. Also, Mahoney is right. It does lack some of the creature
      comforts... but it does have a phone! I am not staying there this year.
      Mostly because I had one hell of time trying to sleep at 11,400 feet
      and a nocturnal Marten overlord.
      /joe

    • mntnmiss@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
        Hey there,

        Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
        If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
        dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
        a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
        hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
        where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .

        Missy

        > of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
        > 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
        > Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.
      • carolyn erdman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
          If you have any questions I would ask Connie Teague at the Chamber of
          COmmerce or Kelly Mitchell who is the Recreation director in town.

          At 01:38 PM 3/16/01 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hey there,
          >
          >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
          >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
          >dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
          >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
          >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
          >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
          >
          >Missy
          >
          >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
          >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
          >> Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.

        • Mike Farris
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
            Hardrockers,

            I have a curious request. I'm scheduled to run this year, but what
            I'd really like to do is a May/June climbing trip to Alaska. If you
            know of anyone looking for team members for such a trip, let me know
            off-list. Those who are high on the waiting list have the most
            incentive to help :)

            Thanks,
            Mike
            Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
            Associate Professor of Biology Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
            http://www.hamline.edu/depts/biology/mfarris
          • carolyn erdman
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
              So who is the runner crossing the Uncompadre River in the HRH shot in the
              spring Patagonia catalog?
              Carolyn
            • Stevan Pattillo
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                Re the U-river crossing. If the picture was taken in daylight it sure
                wasn't me.
                Steve
              • Stevan Pattillo
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                  Are you referring to South Mineral? If so, Jim Fisher stays there. Which
                  may say something.
                  Steve Pattillo
                • Carl & Sally Yates
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                    We camp there every year with our 2 dogs. Never saw Jim Fisher there. Does
                    that mean its cheap? Sure is if you have a golden age card. Jim Ballard and
                    Kathy Lang are always there and a few others. Can't get much closer to Kamm
                    AS except a few free backcountry spots before and after Kamm. Don't try to
                    come in on a weekend.
                    For those interested, the knee is doing pretty well. I won't be limping like
                    last year and hoping to run again in 2002. Carl

                  • GEH@crosslinkinc.com

                      >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                      >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                      >dog near Silverton?  I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                      >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                      >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                      >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
                      >
                      >Missy
                      >
                      >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                      >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                      >> Animas river.  There are pit toilets at both sites.

                    • Mitchell Rossman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                        Mike:

                        In my book, the climbing trip to Alaska would be worth doing rather than
                        what, your third or forth time at Hardrock? If my climbing skills were not
                        just above novice, and I was not in summer school at William Mitchell, I
                        would want to join you. As it is, I will settle for a few snow climbs in
                        Colorado in May and then try my hand at Nolan's in August.

                        Take care and please report back to me the specifics of your Alaska trip. I
                        want to go there someday. Thank you.

                        Mitch Rossman
                        Mendota Heights, MN