Re: [hr100] Motels During the Race

  • Joe Prusatis
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
      I don't know if it's available this year... BUT
      last year, I Stayed up on Red Mtn at the St. Paul
      Ski Lodge. Chris George opened it up for Hardrock
      runners, but only a very few stayed there. It's near
      12,000 feet and very rustic. I had to park off the
      highway, and walk the last 1/2 mile. But on dry days,
      you can drive up this jeep road. It was cheap and it
      fit my calendar. It's about 10 miles out of town,
      on the Million Dollar Hwy.
      /joe prusaitis

      St. Paul Backcountry Ski Lodge & Cabin*
      14665 Hwy 550
      P O Box 463, Silverton, CO 81433
      (970)387-5367
      E-mail: stpaul@...

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
        --- Joe Prusatis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
        > I don't know if it's available this year... BUT
        > last year, I Stayed up on Red Mtn at the St. Paul
        > Ski Lodge. Chris George opened it up for Hardrock
        > runners, but only a very few stayed there. It's near
        > 12,000 feet and very rustic. I had to park off the
        > highway, and walk the last 1/2 mile. But on dry
        > days,
        > you can drive up this jeep road. It was cheap and it
        > fit my calendar. It's about 10 miles out of town,
        > on the Million Dollar Hwy.
        > /joe prusaitis

        Rustic is right. There is indoor plumbing and heat
        but no electricity or phone. It's actually at 11,400
        ft. The rent was $30/night last year. If that's out
        of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
        3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
        Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.

        =====

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • LaForme
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
          Tom,

          You had better watch out ! Joe is not telling you about The MARTIN From Hell
          that terrorizes unsuspecting lodgers at Red Mtn. You notice Joe doesn't say
          he's staying there this year......
          Ginny LaForme
          Espanola,NM
          rlaforme@...
          > I don't know if it's available this year... BUT
          > last year, I Stayed up on Red Mtn at the St. Paul
          > Ski Lodge. Chris George opened it up for Hardrock
          > runners, but only a very few stayed there. It's near
          > 12,000 feet and very rustic. I had to park off the
          > highway, and walk the last 1/2 mile. But on dry days,
          > you can drive up this jeep road. It was cheap and it
          > fit my calendar. It's about 10 miles out of town,
          > on the Million Dollar Hwy.
          > /joe prusaitis
          >
          > St. Paul Backcountry Ski Lodge & Cabin*
          > 14665 Hwy 550
          > P O Box 463, Silverton, CO 81433
          > (970)387-5367
          > E-mail: stpaul@...
          >

          > Tom Hayes wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Does anyone know for sure if there are rooms left in Silverton for 13th,
          > > 14th and 15th for crew whilst we are out enjoying the mountains? If
          there
          > > is more than one, we are looking for less expensive. If none --
          > > recommendations for other places with good accessibility to the course.
          > > Sorry if this is a repeat, I just got on the list.
          > >
          > > Tom Hayes
          > > Bozeman

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Joe Prusatis
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
            Actually... there is MORE to this story. And a very possesive Marten
            does think he owns the place. We got to be good friends after a few
            nights. Also, Mahoney is right. It does lack some of the creature
            comforts... but it does have a phone! I am not staying there this year.
            Mostly because I had one hell of time trying to sleep at 11,400 feet
            and a nocturnal Marten overlord.
            /joe

          • mntnmiss@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
              Hey there,

              Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
              If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
              dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
              a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
              hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
              where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .

              Missy

              > of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
              > 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
              > Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.
            • carolyn erdman
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                If you have any questions I would ask Connie Teague at the Chamber of
                COmmerce or Kelly Mitchell who is the Recreation director in town.

                At 01:38 PM 3/16/01 -0000, you wrote:

                >Hey there,
                >
                >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                >dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
                >
                >Missy
                >
                >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                >> Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.

              • Mike Farris
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                  Hardrockers,

                  I have a curious request. I'm scheduled to run this year, but what
                  I'd really like to do is a May/June climbing trip to Alaska. If you
                  know of anyone looking for team members for such a trip, let me know
                  off-list. Those who are high on the waiting list have the most
                  incentive to help :)

                  Thanks,
                  Mike
                  Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                  Associate Professor of Biology Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
                  http://www.hamline.edu/depts/biology/mfarris
                • carolyn erdman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                    So who is the runner crossing the Uncompadre River in the HRH shot in the
                    spring Patagonia catalog?
                    Carolyn
                  • Stevan Pattillo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                      Re the U-river crossing. If the picture was taken in daylight it sure
                      wasn't me.
                      Steve
                    • Stevan Pattillo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                        Are you referring to South Mineral? If so, Jim Fisher stays there. Which
                        may say something.
                        Steve Pattillo
                      • Carl & Sally Yates
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                          We camp there every year with our 2 dogs. Never saw Jim Fisher there. Does
                          that mean its cheap? Sure is if you have a golden age card. Jim Ballard and
                          Kathy Lang are always there and a few others. Can't get much closer to Kamm
                          AS except a few free backcountry spots before and after Kamm. Don't try to
                          come in on a weekend.
                          For those interested, the knee is doing pretty well. I won't be limping like
                          last year and hoping to run again in 2002. Carl

                        • GEH@crosslinkinc.com

                            >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                            >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                            >dog near Silverton?  I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                            >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                            >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                            >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
                            >
                            >Missy
                            >
                            >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                            >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                            >> Animas river.  There are pit toilets at both sites.

                          • Mitchell Rossman
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                              Mike:

                              In my book, the climbing trip to Alaska would be worth doing rather than
                              what, your third or forth time at Hardrock? If my climbing skills were not
                              just above novice, and I was not in summer school at William Mitchell, I
                              would want to join you. As it is, I will settle for a few snow climbs in
                              Colorado in May and then try my hand at Nolan's in August.

                              Take care and please report back to me the specifics of your Alaska trip. I
                              want to go there someday. Thank you.

                              Mitch Rossman
                              Mendota Heights, MN