Silverton 1000 Multi-Day Run - Pictures, Video & Recap

  • Rodger A Wrublik
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2011
      Pictures - http://www.silverton1000.com/silverton-1000-2011/

      Videos - http://www.silverton1000.com/videos/

      Results - http://www.silverton1000.com

      Silverton Events Site - http;//www.silvertonspecialevents.com

      Recap: We had about twice the amount of entrants that we had last year
      and the run seems to be really taking off. We had three runners that
      we thought had a real chance at making the minimum mileage
      requirements and going the distance in the 1000 mile challenge, but
      unfortunately, one of the runners, an international entrant, couldn't
      even make it into the states because of the recent hurricane and two
      others missed the one mile requirement per hour. After the second day
      there was only one participant left in contention for the 1000 mile
      challenge, which to my surprise, was me.

      For myself, I nearly didn't start. The night before, we had a problem
      finding a key component to our timing system and because of that, I
      was up the entire night, looking for it. At about 5 minutes before the
      start of the run, wearing my work clothes and work shoes, I told John
      Geesler that I wasn't going to start. I told him that I hadn't had a
      chance to even change my clothes, let alone get any aid ready for
      myself. John said no way, and would not let me use that as an excuse.
      He convinced me to start the run and at least run the one mile each
      hour requirement and maybe I would feel better as the run progressed.
      I reluctantly took his advise, made the minimum one mile lap each hour
      and in between those laps, made trips back and forth to the hotel to
      change my clothes and get my gear together. It all worked out and I'm
      so glad that John was so supportive. It was a blast.

      Sadly, Ed Ettinghausen made an error on the first night (by
      oversleeping) and John Geesler made an error on the second night
      (missed recording a lap), which left just myself still in contention
      for the 1000. All of the other six day entrants had no intentions of
      going for the 1000 mile challenge.

      All went well for myself on the first two days, with John Geesler
      giving me his support and advice. That is, until an injury from two
      months ago at Hardrock, a tendon in my ankle, started playing havoc. I
      taped the ankle and it seemed to help for about a day but by the third
      day, things were getting much worse. Except for the ankle, I felt
      great, but with the bad ankle it was next to impossible to get down
      the steep grades with any speed. Each one mile loop has 250 feet of
      climb per lap and that all happens in about a quarter mile stretch,
      which makes for some really steep climbs and descents.

      On the forth, day the 72 hour runnners started their race and I was
      doing okay until about mid day. At that time, I was desperate to find
      a way to fix my ankle so that I could run again and while in the
      process of taping my own ankle for the second time, Joel & Reina
      Jenkins from Hawaii (The Foot Guy and his wife who were running in the
      72 hour), asked if they could help. Joel taped me up and most of the
      pain was immediately gone. This held up for about a day but by the
      fifth day, not even the taping was working and I was, once again,
      reduced to a sideways crawl on the downhills. One more time, Joel
      stepped in and re-taped the ankle which helped immensely but by this
      time I had already lost way too much time. I continued on, but
      couldn't make up all those lost miles and came up short of the
      required 350 miles to continue on in the challenge. I did, however,
      complete a mile lap each and every hour and did finish with a total of
      311 miles. I could have added a few more miles but decided to save the
      ankle and settle with a 500k finish. Missing the minimum mileage of
      350 for the six days, I became the last runner to be knocked out of
      contention for the 1000 mile challenge. Long story short, I truly
      believe the 1000 mile challenge is possible and feel that next year
      will prove that.

      There were many other very strong performances. In the 6 day last
      year, we only had a single 200 mile finisher, this year we gave out
      three 200 mile buckles and one 300 mile buckle. Dave Combs surprised
      all of us with 133 miles and a young local, Cody Braford, who had
      never run more than 24 miles before and just started running 6 months
      ago, really surprised everyone with a strong 150 miles. Ed
      Ettinghausen with his crazy costumes was amazingly strong and went 251
      miles. Jean Jacques d'Aquin completed 233 miles - 33 more miles than
      last years winner. Elroy Whitworth, not only went 205 miles but also
      volunteered almost as much as he ran. It's people like Elroy that make
      these types of events so special!

      In the 72 hour, we had a really strong showing from longtime friend
      Dennis Drey with 138 miles. We also had a big group of runners from
      Hawaii which are part of the HURT 100 group. Two in that group, Mike
      Garcia and Patricia Carroll were on the course all hours of the day
      and night and completed114 miles each. In the 48 hour we had some
      solid 100 mile mile performances from William Murphy and Bill Losey.
      In the 24 hour run, we had a local artisan that does all of our awards
      do his first 50 miler. His name is Ken Webb and owns the Quiet Bear
      Art Studio in Silverton. Here's his site: http://www.quietbearart.com/

      I'd like to publicly thank the Jamil and Nick Coury and Aravaipa
      Running (http://aravaiparunning.com) for stepping in and taking over
      all of the race day directing duties so that I could participate in
      this run. It was more fun than I could have ever imagined! Thanks so
      much to everyone that helped out and participated!

      Registration for next years event will open on or before October 1st

      --
      Rodger Wrublik - RD

      Silverton, Colorado

      Silverton Special Events
      Silverton 1000 & 6 Day
      Silverton Alpine Marathon & 50k
      Kendall Mountain Run
    • Deb
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2011
        Congrats to all of you guys- this event just seems totally nuts to me ! Great job roger. Hope the ankle heals up fast.
        Deb

        Sent from my iPod

      • frederick riemer
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2011
          Rodger; Congratulations on your fine performance and thank you for offering such wonderful events to the ultrarunning community. It is YOU who make these events so special!      -Fred Riemer

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2011
            Rodger; Congratulations on your fine performance and effort at your race. (And for your Hardrock finish earlier this year.)
            I hope you heal completely and quickly.

            Rodger, it is YOU who make these events so special!!       -Fred Riemer