Motels During the Race

  • Tom Hayes
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
      Hi,

      Does anyone know for sure if there are rooms left in Silverton for 13th,
      14th and 15th for crew whilst we are out enjoying the mountains? If there
      is more than one, we are looking for less expensive. If none --
      recommendations for other places with good accessibility to the course.
      Sorry if this is a repeat, I just got on the list.

      Tom Hayes
      Bozeman
    • Joe Prusatis
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
        I don't know if it's available this year... BUT
        last year, I Stayed up on Red Mtn at the St. Paul
        Ski Lodge. Chris George opened it up for Hardrock
        runners, but only a very few stayed there. It's near
        12,000 feet and very rustic. I had to park off the
        highway, and walk the last 1/2 mile. But on dry days,
        you can drive up this jeep road. It was cheap and it
        fit my calendar. It's about 10 miles out of town,
        on the Million Dollar Hwy.
        /joe prusaitis

        St. Paul Backcountry Ski Lodge & Cabin*
        14665 Hwy 550
        P O Box 463, Silverton, CO 81433
        (970)387-5367
        E-mail: stpaul@...

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
          --- Joe Prusatis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
          > I don't know if it's available this year... BUT
          > last year, I Stayed up on Red Mtn at the St. Paul
          > Ski Lodge. Chris George opened it up for Hardrock
          > runners, but only a very few stayed there. It's near
          > 12,000 feet and very rustic. I had to park off the
          > highway, and walk the last 1/2 mile. But on dry
          > days,
          > you can drive up this jeep road. It was cheap and it
          > fit my calendar. It's about 10 miles out of town,
          > on the Million Dollar Hwy.
          > /joe prusaitis

          Rustic is right. There is indoor plumbing and heat
          but no electricity or phone. It's actually at 11,400
          ft. The rent was $30/night last year. If that's out
          of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
          3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
          Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.

          =====

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • LaForme
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
            Tom,

            You had better watch out ! Joe is not telling you about The MARTIN From Hell
            that terrorizes unsuspecting lodgers at Red Mtn. You notice Joe doesn't say
            he's staying there this year......
            Ginny LaForme
            Espanola,NM
            rlaforme@...
            > I don't know if it's available this year... BUT
            > last year, I Stayed up on Red Mtn at the St. Paul
            > Ski Lodge. Chris George opened it up for Hardrock
            > runners, but only a very few stayed there. It's near
            > 12,000 feet and very rustic. I had to park off the
            > highway, and walk the last 1/2 mile. But on dry days,
            > you can drive up this jeep road. It was cheap and it
            > fit my calendar. It's about 10 miles out of town,
            > on the Million Dollar Hwy.
            > /joe prusaitis
            >
            > St. Paul Backcountry Ski Lodge & Cabin*
            > 14665 Hwy 550
            > P O Box 463, Silverton, CO 81433
            > (970)387-5367
            > E-mail: stpaul@...
            >

            > Tom Hayes wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Does anyone know for sure if there are rooms left in Silverton for 13th,
            > > 14th and 15th for crew whilst we are out enjoying the mountains? If
            there
            > > is more than one, we are looking for less expensive. If none --
            > > recommendations for other places with good accessibility to the course.
            > > Sorry if this is a repeat, I just got on the list.
            > >
            > > Tom Hayes
            > > Bozeman

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Joe Prusatis
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 13, 2001
              Actually... there is MORE to this story. And a very possesive Marten
              does think he owns the place. We got to be good friends after a few
              nights. Also, Mahoney is right. It does lack some of the creature
              comforts... but it does have a phone! I am not staying there this year.
              Mostly because I had one hell of time trying to sleep at 11,400 feet
              and a nocturnal Marten overlord.
              /joe

            • mntnmiss@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                Hey there,

                Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .

                Missy

                > of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                > 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                > Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.
              • carolyn erdman
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                  If you have any questions I would ask Connie Teague at the Chamber of
                  COmmerce or Kelly Mitchell who is the Recreation director in town.

                  At 01:38 PM 3/16/01 -0000, you wrote:

                  >Hey there,
                  >
                  >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                  >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                  >dog near Silverton? I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                  >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                  >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                  >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
                  >
                  >Missy
                  >
                  >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                  >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                  >> Animas river. There are pit toilets at both sites.

                • Mike Farris
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                    Hardrockers,

                    I have a curious request. I'm scheduled to run this year, but what
                    I'd really like to do is a May/June climbing trip to Alaska. If you
                    know of anyone looking for team members for such a trip, let me know
                    off-list. Those who are high on the waiting list have the most
                    incentive to help :)

                    Thanks,
                    Mike
                    Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                    Associate Professor of Biology Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
                    http://www.hamline.edu/depts/biology/mfarris
                  • carolyn erdman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                      So who is the runner crossing the Uncompadre River in the HRH shot in the
                      spring Patagonia catalog?
                      Carolyn
                    • Stevan Pattillo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                        Re the U-river crossing. If the picture was taken in daylight it sure
                        wasn't me.
                        Steve
                      • Stevan Pattillo
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                          Are you referring to South Mineral? If so, Jim Fisher stays there. Which
                          may say something.
                          Steve Pattillo
                        • Carl & Sally Yates
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                            We camp there every year with our 2 dogs. Never saw Jim Fisher there. Does
                            that mean its cheap? Sure is if you have a golden age card. Jim Ballard and
                            Kathy Lang are always there and a few others. Can't get much closer to Kamm
                            AS except a few free backcountry spots before and after Kamm. Don't try to
                            come in on a weekend.
                            For those interested, the knee is doing pretty well. I won't be limping like
                            last year and hoping to run again in 2002. Carl

                          • GEH@crosslinkinc.com

                              >Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at either of these camping areas?
                              >If not, does anyone know where someone might be able to camp with a
                              >dog near Silverton?  I'm not running the race this year but am pacing
                              >a friend and would like to spend some extra time before the race
                              >hiking in the area and would love to bring the pooch - any advice on
                              >where to stay would be greatly appreciated . . .
                              >
                              >Missy
                              >
                              >> of your budget, you can camp for free at South Mineral
                              >> 3 miles east of Silverton, or Maggie Gulch by the
                              >> Animas river.  There are pit toilets at both sites.

                            • Mitchell Rossman
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 16, 2001
                                Mike:

                                In my book, the climbing trip to Alaska would be worth doing rather than
                                what, your third or forth time at Hardrock? If my climbing skills were not
                                just above novice, and I was not in summer school at William Mitchell, I
                                would want to join you. As it is, I will settle for a few snow climbs in
                                Colorado in May and then try my hand at Nolan's in August.

                                Take care and please report back to me the specifics of your Alaska trip. I
                                want to go there someday. Thank you.

                                Mitch Rossman
                                Mendota Heights, MN