THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 58)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2011
      [And yet one more in a never-ending, though tardy, streak of Happy
      Positivity Wednesdays to you and yours! It's a good thing the new issue of
      UltraRunning magazine arrived in my mail today, 'cuz I was running low on
      inspiration. But, BAM: right there on the cover is Meghan Arbogast, all 50
      incredible years of her. And--Owe Mai Gawk!!!--we learn, just by thumbing
      thru the pages, that she ran 18:40:18 at this year's Western States,
      finishing first in age, 7th woman overall, and thereby setting an all-new
      WSER age group record! Holey Smokin' Simoleons! And should one have any
      research urges at all, one can also pick up last March's UR mag and realize
      all of the following about Meghan for 2010: a) she WON five (5) ultras
      (women's division, including two in Wisconsin that I happen to know are
      *not* easy); b) she ran the 22nd-fastest women's 100-miler (WSER again, but
      significantly slower than she just ran it this year!); c) she ran the
      3rd-fastest women's 100K and garnered the 2nd-best "graded performance"
      honor for 100K by women;; and d) she was the 2nd highest vote-getter for
      "Female Runner of the Year." Wow. Put *that* in your toebox and squish it.
      Eh? All of which makes her more that deserving of today's TMIWITW. Here,
      you can read up at...
      http://www.irunfar.com/2010/06/meghan-arbogast-post-2010-western-states-100-
      interview.html
      ...and...
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13650
      ...and here's her very own (whey kewl, iffn ya axt me) blog site...
      http://runningmegleg.com/. FIFTY YEARS OLD? YoouGottaBeeKiddingMee!!!!!]

      She has been known to enter beauty contests with "girls" one-third her age
      and beat out three-fourths of them.

      She has outright WON more ultra-distance races in shoes on foot than most
      men half her age have won dare-me drag races in hotrods on Main Street.

      In an occurrence reminiscent of the 1967 Boston Marathon, she was once
      disqualified from a men's 100-kilometer point-to-point ultramarathon because
      she beat all the men. She then graciously stepped off the podium and ran
      all the way back to her car--which was parked at the start.

      Her former high school and college have both named their stadiums after her.
      The towns in which they sit are currently trying to rename the whole town
      after her. And they want to get this done, of course, by next (gasp) "Arbo
      Day."

      The USAF has hired her as a consultant for its test pilot program. The
      "test" is for any pilot to see if a plane can be flown at altitude faster
      than she can run across the Bonneville Salt Flats. Most pilots fail.

      Witnesses swear they have watched her actually lift and hold up an Air Force
      fighter jet while it was getting its tire changed.

      She is the go-to gal at her gym whenever any personal trainer is unable to
      lift a weight, re-rack the Smith machine, or open any jar of anything sold
      by MET-Rx.

      Joe Wieder wanted to put her on the cover of Muscle & Fitness, but
      UltraRunning beat him to it.

      Her best marathon time is an Olympic qualifier. Her weekly practice mileage
      outdistances the Space Shuttle. And her running log is about to become
      third on the New York Times Best Seller list.

      She is, for sure, the best thing to come out of Oregon since Steve
      Prefontaine, and her daughter is now older than he was.

      She is THE MOST INTERESTING WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

      "I don't always combat age with higher-intensity training; but, when I do, I
      prefer starting fast and speeding up. Stay racing, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://tinyurl.com/DosEquisAd
      [and thanks to UltraJohn Price--himself no stranger to footracing--for
      supplying this instead of that former long and always-broken hyperlink].

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ("your 800-year-old awestruck buzz tweeting affectionately Frenching lute
      plucker who has NOT figured out how to conquer aging")

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      Stock market crash? Oh, come on, S & P, Congress was only kidding!!
    • The Troubadour
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2011
        Ah, Johnny, we love ya, man.

        Thanks for this!

        ALSO--in an attempt now to stave off the probably eventual backlash--I was
        wrong about Meghan's 2011 Western States finishing time. [Why? Because I'm
        damn OLD, that's WHY, and am currently having cataracts in both frickin'
        eyeballs and therefore cannot SEE! Ya see?] Meghan's time was 18:50:19,
        and not whatever the hell I tried to type in there.

        Sorry.

        Carry on.

        Back to the as-lately-ever-expected RAGING debates over such things
        podcasts, salt-caps, Dr. Noakes, bottled water, and, of course, SMOOTHIES!!!
        ;-)

        Yours troubly,

        Rich
        That TroubleDoer

        The last one dropped the final 'l' in html!
        John