THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 57)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2011
      [And yet another Happy Positivity Wednesday to allah y'all! So today, as
      well as for the past several Mid-Week Celebrations, we have another
      no-brainer for a subject to lay our laurels on. She is Jennifer Pharr
      Davis, and she just recently (July 31st) completed a fastpack thru-hike of
      the entire Appalachian Trail (all 2,181 miles of it) in Fastest Known (some
      call it World Record) Time. Her total ET, from Mount Katahdin, Maine, to
      Springer Mountain, Georgia, was 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes. This
      beats all previous male records for speed-hiking the AT (notably AT's
      himself: Andrew Thompson's record of 47:13:31) as well as all female
      records--including her own some years ago and some 11 days slower! So this
      is, like, not too shabby, eh? She's also the co-author, we think, of what
      she calls "Becoming Odyssa" and it's all here for your viewing pleasure
      online free of charge at...
      http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/.
      ...and her new record itself is chronicled here, also online and free of
      charge...
      http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20110731/NEWS/110739980/1016/opinio.
      ...and, yes, she truly does deserve to be today's TMIWITW.]

      Another woman might be troubled by NOT wearing any deodorant for 46 days in
      a row, but she is unique. She wears this well, too, even if she isn't
      wearing it at all.

      Never has a slighter waif so slenderly covered ground so gnarly over a
      distance so lengthy in an achievement so heavy as to make all eyes teary
      when comprehending it fully.

      She did the impossible. She whupped AT's ass. Hence, now both even the AT
      and AT himself...are stunned.

      She's been known to spend every day of vacation in constant motion. And
      when those vacation days grow shorter, she speeds up.

      She can live for a thousand days, at least, on chokecherries, wild Georgia
      peaches, and the occasional half-pecan. For water, she waits for rain and
      tilts her head back.

      If tungsten steel weren't already invented, she could sell the blueprints to
      her leg muscles to eager metallurgists, who could then manufacture it.

      When she completed her World Record transverse end-to-end of the entire
      Appalachian Trail, she celebrated by listening to Mumford & Sons and by
      drinking champagne out of a plastic cup. So far, the entire rest of the
      world hasn't heard of either one of those things.

      Lately she has set her sights on beating David Horton's fastpack speed-hike
      to Mars.

      Another thing she is currently doing is weighing the arguments, both pro and
      con, for her becoming the first woman ever to finish The Barkley Marathons.

      And the third and final thing she's now involving herself in? Taking two
      naps per day.

      She is THE MOST INTERESTING WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

      "I don't always manage a hike of 46 miles per day; but, when I don't, I
      prefer managing 50 to 60. Stay moving, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://tinyurl.com/DosEquisAd
      [and thanks to UltraJohn Price--himself a whole-country thru-hiker--for
      supplying this instead of that former long and always-broken hyperlink].

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ("that 800-year-old awestruck minstrel and buzz tweeting lute plucker from
      France who couldn't possibly comprehend drinking fine champagne from a lousy
      plastic cup")

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      So, the United States of America just "permitted" itself to plunge ever
      further and even-more-potentially-catastrophically deeper into debt. And
      this solves the "deficit crisis" how? If only we could get all Congress to
      follow the strict life's regimen of one Jen Pharr Davis, the budget and
      everyone involved with it would become lean and trim and fit and fast and,
      after just 46 days, there'd be a surplus.