Re: [hr100] Ginny, Rich, and the HR course change

  • Rich Limacher
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2001
      Ya know, after I'd used up my long, wordy "ray" to cathode
      all over this tube, it dawned on me yesterday that I had
      failed to elucidate the "subtext." [A "subtext" is to
      literature what prior understanding is to a joke. In other
      words, ya godda already understand sumthin' before you can
      understand sumthin' else. Or, sumthin' like that.]

      Anyway, the "subtext" here is that, at least during last
      July's trailmarking proceedings, Ginny LaForme was
      unanimously appointed (and willingly assumed) the role of
      "everyone's mom." And this worked especially well in my own
      case, because she took care of me out there along those
      frigid ridgelines like nobody else. Like, in fact, only a
      mother could (or would want to). She (and Bozena too) once
      waited for me to catch up and find them in a blinding
      hailstorm. She always took particular care to see that I
      wouldn't get lost; and one time after coming down like a
      dork (me, not her) off Virginius Pass, she not only helped
      me off with my crampons, much to the amusement of everyone
      else, but she also then carried both crampons for me all the
      way back to where we'd parked the cars. I have never
      forgotten that kindness, and so I am pleased--along with
      Ginny herself--to keep up the running joke about her being
      "my mom."

      And that, I guess, is the subtext you need to understand if
      you're going to understand how two Hardrock troupers who
      happen to be the very same age can possibly call themselves
      mother and son.

      Ah, subtext. The subtext is never usually funny at all.
      It's actually quite serious. In fact, if I remember that
      hailstorm rightly (and how scared I was starting to
      feel--hey, there was LIGHTNING too and I was alone and
      exposed at some 11,000 or 12,000 feet!!!) well, it just
      might be that Ginny saved my life. In addition to being
      pelted and half-frozen, I was also totally lost.

      So, if y'all STILL didn't "get" the joke, maybe today's
      explanation will help.

      One more thing. If, for example, Carolyn Erdman (another
      wonderful gal) is listed in the Hardrock prerace booklet as
      "the 'unofficial' ambassador and hostess of the HRH" and
      WINNER, by the way, of the 1999 Mother Lode Award, well,
      heck, I'd like to officially nominate Ginny LaForme as its
      "unofficial" Dear Ol' Ma. Ginny "Richly" deserves the next
      Mother Lode Award, in my humble opinion.

      And me, flailing wildly down Virginius, spikes a-flashin' in
      the sun an' stickin' an' tripping-me-up in the snow,
      "Gingerly" deserves its Dork Award.

      ( O_O )

      [Let me now answer your other questions, Jennifer.]