Ginny, Rich, and the HR course change

  • GRoachHigh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2001
      Hey, I didn't get the jist of Ginny and Rich's joke but it sounded pretty
      funny, anyway.Good explanation, Rich. I enjoy all your prose.
      When is Zane Gray, by the way? How do I find out about that One? Is it good
      HR training?
      As for this course change, well....

      Guess I will miss getting to be in Boulder Gulch. It is quite likely one of
      the prettiest parts of the HR course.Running down that shelf road for 4 miles
      will be rather boring compared to the beauty Boulder Gulch.

      This whole thiing is a dilema and it's got me worried, like many other HR
      entrants.

      But I'll still keep training.

      Hope everyone is well.

      Jennifer Roach
      Boulder, CO.
    • Rich Limacher
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2001
        Ya know, after I'd used up my long, wordy "ray" to cathode
        all over this tube, it dawned on me yesterday that I had
        failed to elucidate the "subtext." [A "subtext" is to
        literature what prior understanding is to a joke. In other
        words, ya godda already understand sumthin' before you can
        understand sumthin' else. Or, sumthin' like that.]

        Anyway, the "subtext" here is that, at least during last
        July's trailmarking proceedings, Ginny LaForme was
        unanimously appointed (and willingly assumed) the role of
        "everyone's mom." And this worked especially well in my own
        case, because she took care of me out there along those
        frigid ridgelines like nobody else. Like, in fact, only a
        mother could (or would want to). She (and Bozena too) once
        waited for me to catch up and find them in a blinding
        hailstorm. She always took particular care to see that I
        wouldn't get lost; and one time after coming down like a
        dork (me, not her) off Virginius Pass, she not only helped
        me off with my crampons, much to the amusement of everyone
        else, but she also then carried both crampons for me all the
        way back to where we'd parked the cars. I have never
        forgotten that kindness, and so I am pleased--along with
        Ginny herself--to keep up the running joke about her being
        "my mom."

        And that, I guess, is the subtext you need to understand if
        you're going to understand how two Hardrock troupers who
        happen to be the very same age can possibly call themselves
        mother and son.

        Ah, subtext. The subtext is never usually funny at all.
        It's actually quite serious. In fact, if I remember that
        hailstorm rightly (and how scared I was starting to
        feel--hey, there was LIGHTNING too and I was alone and
        exposed at some 11,000 or 12,000 feet!!!) well, it just
        might be that Ginny saved my life. In addition to being
        pelted and half-frozen, I was also totally lost.

        So, if y'all STILL didn't "get" the joke, maybe today's
        explanation will help.

        One more thing. If, for example, Carolyn Erdman (another
        wonderful gal) is listed in the Hardrock prerace booklet as
        "the 'unofficial' ambassador and hostess of the HRH" and
        WINNER, by the way, of the 1999 Mother Lode Award, well,
        heck, I'd like to officially nominate Ginny LaForme as its
        "unofficial" Dear Ol' Ma. Ginny "Richly" deserves the next
        Mother Lode Award, in my humble opinion.

        And me, flailing wildly down Virginius, spikes a-flashin' in
        the sun an' stickin' an' tripping-me-up in the snow,
        "Gingerly" deserves its Dork Award.

        ( O_O )

        [Let me now answer your other questions, Jennifer.]