Re: [hr100] No balls, no levy for the next year.

  • lalaith_2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 21, 2011
      As a relatively new ultra runner I have learned so much from the wisdom of the Pero's and have heard of the magic of Hardrock spoken so eloquently through their heart felt description of the beauty of the course and Deb's art well I cannot imagine two individuals who define Hardrock for a "young" eastcoaster more so then Steve and Deb.... based on the initial email they do not have the "right" to be there? Well that is just plain silly...and I actually shook my head reading that email...I also thought the dig at the end was uncalled for... Michelle.... who one day would love to do Hardrock with Steve and Deb but wouldn't be able to keep up with them!

      From: Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...>
      Sender: hr100@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:25:21
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [hr100] No balls, no levy for the next year.

      Guess I might as well throw my 2 cents in, as I do have an opinion. This
      last email just raised the hackles on my back...

      I am 2 for 8 at Hardrock...one of the reasons I continue to run this (when I
      do get in) is I find it to be the biggest challenge to me as an ultrarunner.
      I finished my first time in 2001 in 41 hours, I tried to "race" it the next
      several years and in the end the Hardrock course beat me up. In 2008 I
      decided to just walk out of town and stay around a 48 hour finish, showing
      some respect for the course and I won my own personal battle that year,
      finishing in 43 hours. 2009 I didn't get in, last year I gave up my spot to
      Deb and this year had some freaky medical issues...but I did DNF, so
      therefore I should step aside next year based on my DNF to let a younger
      runner in the race. I chuckle when I think what John Cappis' thoughts would
      be on all of this...wish he was still around during the Hardrock to hear
      them.

      This issue will always be thrown around and those who don't get in will say
      that we who do get in aren't deserving...but I agree with JJ that what goes
      on in the background with many of us in the "Tribe" (we like to call it
      family) doesn't get seen by the youngsters training in the mountains.
      Without us the course wouldn't be marked and many of the trails would be a
      mess...and if the "run" became a priority as a "race", then I guess I'd move
      on because what I love about Hardrock is the "spirit" of Hardrock. Someday
      when I can no longer finish within the cutoffs, you youngsters will see my
      face on the other side of a table at an aid station helping you get through
      it.

      My only thoughts on any changes in the lottery would be to eliminate the
      automatic qualification by starting Hardrock. One should have to go out and
      finish another qualifier (if they did not finish) in the calender year and
      by doing so will have shown that he/she is willing and able to complete the
      most difficult official 100 mile race in the country. I think we have the
      best lottery of all the 100's and other than the above change, should remain
      unchanged.

      See some of you at the Bear 100 in September, where I plan to re-qualify!
      ;-)
      Steve Pero

      PS: Your last sentence was a cheap shot at Jean-Jacques, who I consider a
      friend.

      On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Steve Kral <bvstablemail@...> wrote:

      > For those who are wondering if the comments below are a joke, I can
      > assure you they aren't.
      >
      > A couple of years ago I was on a shuttle to the start of the Silverton
      > Alpine 50KM with this exemplar sportsman, and he told me point blank that he
      > would feel no compunction whatsoever about starting the Hardrock 100 Mile
      > Run with no intention of finishing if it meant ensuring his eligibility for
      > future years...damnation to any outsider who wanted to run the race and had
      > the ability to do it.
      >
      > Regrettably, sometimes I fear the "Hardrock Tribe" displays the morals of a
      > Bedouin Clan more than a family.
      >
      > It's funny how the concept of running 100 miles in the Hardrock 100 Mile
      > Run is now somehow called "elitism." Isn't it more simply, accomplishing the
      > goal? As far as "elitism" goes, I think this is a perfect example of "when
      > you point your finger, you got four more fingers pointing back at you."
      > Elitist non-finisher!
      >
      > Of course, Jean-Jacques does seemingly have the "Spirit of Hardrock" behind
      > him...when I questioned the Board about the ethics of Jean-Jacques comment,
      > they viewed his actions as entirely his own decision.
      >
      > Anyway, congrats on your DNF in 2011 Jean-Jacques!
      >
      > Cheers
      > Steve Kral

    • Steve Kral
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 21, 2011
        Fair enough Steve. Jean-Jacques has many fine attributes. I know--I was out in the sun with him pounding Rodger's tent stakes until our hands went numb. I think I did my share of work to make his Hardrock 2011 effort possible and he was out there last weekend at the Kendall Mtn Marathon making my run possible. I appreciate that.

        But I find his sense of entitlement about taking up a spot in this run to ensure himself another 3 years of eligibility offensive. So offensive in fact, that I'm not sure how any comment about it could be considered a cheap shot.

        All the best
        Steve

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 21, 2011
             Another  2 cents.   I don't understand the 5 time automatic finisher entry.  With a race as amazing and hard to get into as this why would you let such a large number of people in automatically?  In another year or two you will have half the slots filled by people who don't have to lottery in.  If you want legacy entrants then maybe make it a percentage (20%?) with the most finishes or 10 timers.  People who have 5 finishes already have a huge advantage in lottery tickets and most will get in.  Too little emphasis is put on people who have volunteered for the race over the years.  A dnf is worth more than someone who has worked at the race before the start, worked and aid station and paced many miles; all in the same year.  I have friends who have worked more hours out there than people who have finished the race but get no extra consideration yet have never been able to lottery in.  When we are at the awards clapping for those volunteers
          whose backs we run the race on why don't we figure out a way to get those qualified and willing a chance to run it also.
           ken g

          From: Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...>

          To: hr100@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 4:25 PM

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 21, 2011
            Perhaps I misunderstand. If Hardrock is a "run" and not a "race", then why is there a clock at the finish line? And why do they publish a list of finishers and their times in order from fastest to slowest? And why are there trophies for the fastest runners? And why do we wear race numbers? And why are there cutoff times and a prescribed route and rules about pacers and crews and all these other things that determine whether or not your effort counts as a finish? Is it a race or not?

            Oh, I get it. Let's all congratulate Julien Chorier as the lucky winner for having his name drawn from a jar, vs. 8 or 10 guys who might have been faster but we'll never know.

            I know that I and 95% of the runners are just trying to beat the course and not each other. For a lot of people, just finishing a 5K is an accomplishment. That is why there are fitness walks where you get a T-shirt, a chance to work out, socialize, and eat afterward, but there is no clock, no awards, and no sorted list of finishers. So is Hardrock a race or a fitness walk?

            There are a lot of races where there are more people who want to run than there are spots available, such as the Boston and New York marathons, JFK 50, Ironman, Western States, and the Olympics. They all have different entry procedures. But what they all have in common is that they have a means to qualify so that if you are fast enough, you can get in without going through the lottery. Please note that I am suggesting a change that will make it harder for me to enter. I have 4 prior Hardrock finishes, mostly back of the pack. Why should I get 5 lottery tickets when someone like Killian Jornet, Anton Krupicka, Scott Jurek, or Goeff Roes would only get 1?

            Hardrock would have no trouble selling 140 "charity spots" for $2000 each. (The London marathon sells 80% of its 40,000 entries for a similar amount). I applaud the race committee to not succumbing to greed. But if we don't balance supply and demand by the laws of economics, then what I suggest is that the top 5% or top 5 finishers at one of the qualifying races, whichever is less, get an automatic entry. Everyone else would put their name on a multi-year waiting list. Enter any time, and you run when your name comes to the top.

            Opinions?

            -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

            >________________________________

          • Julian Jamison
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 21, 2011
              Perhaps fruitless to reply, but here goes...

              Matt, for the record, I have absolutely no problem with the organizers
              taking 5-10 spots and handing them out to fast guys, although obviously that
              would hurt my future chances as well. I don't think I would recommend it,
              given their stated goals, but it would certainly be a lot of fun to watch.

              However, to respond to your specific points (speaking for myself only, of
              course):

              1) Hardrock is a race. When I lined up in silverton two weeks ago, I wasn't
              especially trying to beat other people (although obviously the top guys
              were, and that's appropriate), but I was trying to finish and to finish as
              quickly as possible.

              2) The fact that it's a race does not imply that the organizers are
              obligated to accept or recruit or encourage all the fastest mountain
              100-milers in the world to be there. It doesn't imply that all participants
              are obligated to try to finish as quickly as possible. It only implies that
              there are rules and it will be timed, and that the faster you go the more
              you will be applauded (perhaps rewarded) by the organizers -- although of
              course they can applaud lots of other dimensions in addition to speed.

              3) Julien Chorier (nice name!) won the race not because his name was drawn
              from a hat, but because he ran the fastest among all those who entered
              according to the well-defined procedures. This is the same as any other
              race. Nobody, however fast, can show up on the morning of the boston
              marathon and race it without having followed all the proper procedures. Lots
              of people *might* have been faster on any given day for any race (at least
              any ultra - possibly not for a few olympic events - but who gets to decide
              that?).

              4) If a potential competitor is sick and can't race, does that mean the
              winner was only a lucky 'winner'? What if a sponsor wants them to race
              elsewhere? What if the fastest guy in the world misses his connecting flight
              in chicago? What if I decide to put on a 5k tomorrow, with a $20k entry fee
              and $1mil first prize (all comers gladly accepted, if you get this email in
              time) and only eight people show up? Yes, Western States has a way for
              [some] fast [50mi and 100k] runners to automatically qualify, and yes some
              races in some years end up being more competitive than others, but it's all
              on a continuum. Where exactly do you draw the line and why? How accessible
              does it have to be? Isn't the winner simply the winner?

              5) You and I have a better chance to get in to hardrock next year than
              Kilian Jornet or Geoff Roes because we are being rewarded for having
              participated in the past, and as an incentive system so that future entrants
              are more likely to maintain a connection with the race over time. This is
              what the organizers want; it does not contradict the definition of a race.
              This is not fair if speed is the only measure of worth with respect to the
              race, but it is quite fair if community is worth something. Ultimately the
              choice comes down to values, which are not objectively determined. So whose
              values carry the day? The people who are putting on the race, naturally.
              Your values may be different, and just as legitimate (if less relevant), but
              that doesn't make their values wrong.

              Good luck to both of us (and everyone else) in next year's lottery.

              cheers,
              julian

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2011
                Julian Jamison <julison@...> wrote:

                >3) Julien Chorier (nice name!) won the race not because his name was drawn
                >from a hat, but because he ran the fastest among all those who entered
                >according to the well-defined procedures.

                I am aware of the entry procedure. How would the results be different if the first 10 finishers put their name in a jar and we decide who gets the trophy by lottery, except that the other 9 don't get to run?

                >5) You and I have a better chance to get in to hardrock next year than
                >Kilian Jornet or Geoff Roes because we are being rewarded for having
                >participated in the past, and as an incentive system so that future entrants
                >are more likely to maintain a connection with the race over time.

                Sorry, that's BS. Some of the members of the race committee have run Hardrock 10 or more times. I know they can use any entry procedure they want, but I think it looks bad when they write the rules to favor themselves over faster runners.