Photos and Lotteries

  • Blake P. Wood
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2011
      I seem to be unable to respond to posts on the HR100 group, although I can post new messages. So here are some comments on several recent threads:

      Marcy - the guy who was taking photos above Cunningham is my buddy Tanner Johnson (also nephew to runner Lance Johnson). He stopped by my house last week to show me his photos - they are spectacular! He tells me he'll have them on the web in a few days, and I'll have a link posted to the Hardrock page then.

      The two guys photographing on Green Mountain (and elsewhere) were doing a piece on Julian Chorier for Salomon. They also tell me they'll send me a link to photos when they get them together, which I'll have put on the web page as well.

      Ken, Steve, and others - I've been monitoring the discussion about qualifications and the lottery, and noting everyone's suggestions for changes. These will be discussed at our next board meeting, in September. It is unlikely that changes will be made for 2012, since runners have made plans based on the current process, but we'll consider them for 2013 (and will announce any such changes well before the 2012 running.)

      The general philosophy of the board has been that while we don't want to exclude runners based on DNFs, neither do we want to reward them in the lottery. This is why we stopped giving lottery tickets for DNFs in our last algorithm change several years ago. However, I see the point that allowing someone to remain qualified to enter the lottery for three years after a DNF DOES provide some incentive for a runner to start the run even if unprepared. I can't read minds, but my gut feeling is that this has incentivized very few runners over the years. Are there runners who don't take their conditioning seriously enough? No doubt. Do we have the desire or ability to distinguish these runners from those who arrived well prepared and simply came up short? Not at all.

      - Blake

      Blake Wood
      President, Hardrock Board of Directors
    • Ward, Kenneth (Corvallis)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2011
        I totally agree with you Blake, particularly the last sentence, no way the Board can or should make such determinations.

        Thanks for taking suggestions under consideration,

        Ken

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2011
          These two photo collections are available on the web now:

          Tanner Johnson's photos from the descent into Cunningham are at https://picasaweb.google.com/114597683650679188729/Hardrock1002011Cunningham

          A fine video by the Salomon photographers is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbGHr73_-E&feature=share

          - Blake

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2011